Another cabinet question

Status
Not open for further replies.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
In the process of finalizing plans for our kitchen make over, we are deliberating not putting an exhaust fan over the range. If that is our final decision, what is the minimum distance from range top to the bottom of a cabinet over the range?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Jerry

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
When I did ours I [ she] wanted a microwave over the stove. It is 19" above the stove and has a light and filtered exaust. We didnt vent to the out side for various reasons. If you dont use something to move air you may have a problen with steam. Measure her tallest pot and go from there but keep in mind that steam smoke and utensils may damage the cabinets over time. its real nice having a light over the stove.

fred

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Jerry,

I'm not sure I'd put cabinets over the range. Steam, etc. coming up from whatever is cooking would probably ruin any woodwork above the range.

Ray

ACobra289

New User
Bill
We also put the microwave over the range. As Fred mentions, it's nice having a light over the range, plus it frees up counter space.

Bill M

Nativespec

New User
David
Just my oppinion, but it is a bad idea not to vent the air outside. Next kitchen I do will have a commercial style hood strong enough to food through it if it gets too close.

David

sediener

New User
Steve
We've got a downdraft vented cooktop and the cabinet above it is a good 6ft off the floor.

- Steve

In the process of finalizing plans for our kitchen make over, we are deliberating not putting an exhaust fan over the range. If that is our final decision, what is the minimum distance from range top to the bottom of a cabinet over the range?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Jerry

T

toolferone

Not just the height of the tallest pot but lifting the lid off and stirring it. Taller is better!!

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I have installed well over 50 plus kitchens. Here is what I know from experience.
Microwave over the range. Recommend min. of 16" from range surface to bottom of microwave. Anything less than that and you won't get a large cooking pot under it and be able to stir it.
so 16-18" Much taller than 18" than you run into the problem of have the the micro so tall that you are up on tip toes to see into it, accessing controls/problems put in or taking out of items.
HTH.

Now if just a cabinet over the range, clearance for same large pot with lid and stirring capabilities. I would however put a shield of some type under the cab. to protect the bottom from steam etc.
So I would probably use the same 16 -18" Maybe stick to the higher side of that.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Steve W

New User
Steve
You may also bump into code issues along the way here, FWIW.

I wouldn't dream of not having some sort of exhaust system to the outside. I've done them in old houses and newer ones and it's not as difficult as you would first imagine -- especially if you're going to do a complete remodel. Recirculating "vents" are useless IMO. Ductwork ain't rocket science -- you just have to get past punching the hole through the wall or roof.

Having said that, if you want it to look "conventional" (i.e., "normal") with no current venting arrangements, you wouldn't do wrong in having the cabinet immediately over the range at approximately 15" above the bottom of the adjacent wall cabinets, which themselves are typically 16" above the countertops. This would be 31 - 32" above the countertop. This would allow you to put a "stock" (Broan, etc.) hood or a microhood over the range in the future. If you're taking the walls down to the studs, bring a 20A dedicated circuit to the area over the range so you can wire in a microhood later if you change your mind.

HTH

:kermit: Steve

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I agree with what STeve said.
As far as code goes, I believe it states that if there is a window in the kitchen than a vent is not required. Same thing goes for a bathroom.
I currently do not have a vent over our range, as the range is mounted in an island.
However there has been times when we wished there was something other than opening a window.
I am currently looking for a downdraft system to install in the island.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS