Animated Gif Avatars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I agree that animation and emoticons in many cases CAN contribute little - but at times (especially here) people make a snarky comment meant to be funny and everyone has experienced an e-mail or written message not intended to have the impact on the receiver that it did - I think putting a smiley face or something like that CAN add to the conversation... can it be over done? absolutely!

But on the whole - especially in this setting - I think it is more positive than negative... Just my opinion...

Hank

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I don't think emoticons or animated gifs have been resource eaters of note since we all moved up from [STRIKE]14.4k baud modems[/STRIKE] Pentium processors and 8M DIMMs.
I agree some people :embaresse overdo it with emoticons :help: but at the same time they add some much needed context/ levity/ color :icon_thum .
The difference in height :gar-Bi does make the text harder to read, so it's generally a good idea :widea: to keep things consistent, or risk aggravating people :slap:. Fortunately, most folks here are pretty friendly :eek:ccasion1 and take it all in stride :banana:. Plus, we're talking about woodworking here, not exactly a must-have-anwers-now-results-oriented-goget'em environment:kamahlitu So peace :qright5: and remember, it's all about the tools! :tool:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
ya know - I wanted to meet Bas before (from his comments and others about him)

But now it is more of a MISSION!

Sniper.jpg

Last edited:

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
I've actually turned off the display of avatars on this site. And although I'm a visually oriented person, I like how it encourages me to start recognizing handles and names. There aren't many online forums where people meet in the physical world, but this place is different, which is a refreshing change. I guess that's another reason why I'm willing to use my actual name here, too.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I agree some people :embaresse overdo it with emoticons :help: but at the same time they add some much needed context/ levity/ color :icon_thum .
The difference in height :gar-Bi does make the text harder to read, so it's generally a good idea :widea: to keep things consistent, or risk aggravating people :slap:. Fortunately, most folks here are pretty friendly :eek:ccasion1 and take it all in stride :banana:. Plus, we're talking about woodworking here, not exactly a must-have-anwers-now-results-oriented-goget'em environment:kamahlitu So peace :qright5: and remember, it's all about the tools! :tool:

Now that was just wrong:rotflm:, funny, but wrong :confused::confused::cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS