And two more

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Turned these two twig pots - The big one is some pine that I rescued from work - it was the center of a post that we set on the stair case in the building we are working on - it stands about 7" and is about 4" at the large dia.

The smaller one is some Dogwood that I roughed out about two months ago and through it in some alcohol then forgot about it

Greybeard

New User
Pat
Phillip, Nice work on the pots! One of these days I will get back into turning again. You seem to have a great deal of fun in your shop. Keep up the good work. I enjoy watching as you folks create some beautiful memories for people it your communities.
Right now I am trying to just deal with the fact that the cancer is coming back again. It surprised me when the doctor said it was active again since it was over 2.5 years since it was active. but, that is life in the fast lane!! Now it just means I have to kick it in the butt like I did before. It also means placing it in the Lord's hands and let him do as He may with it. I have been blessed with His healing hands twice in the last 5.5 years. Let's hope that 3 times is the charm!
Too bad you didn't get lucky with that saw that was given away Saturday! I know that you could have used it.
Well, I have to hit the sack in a bit. Keep on doing the work you are doing and helping the elderly in the community as well as the Veterans in the hospital there in Salsbury
Those are two nice looking pots. Good job on them.

Pat

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Wow Philip, you have been a busy turner these days. Those are some nice forms you have there. You're going to make someone very happy with those. Great job!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I might as well [STRIKE] give away [/STRIKE] sell my turning tools and scroll saws. Between Sawduster and you I could never keep up. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

PChristy

New User
Phillip
That big vase is kewl bro :eusa_clap
I hope I can do that some day :banana:
Bro from what I can see from my side of the world you will be doing this plus more in no time:icon_thum you have a great talent with what ever is placed in front of you - keep up the great work

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I might as well [STRIKE] give away [/STRIKE] sell my turning tools and scroll saws. Between Sawduster and you I could never keep up. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Please no bowing bro - we are all the same - I have seen your work and seen you do some great work on the scroll saw - you have a great talent from what I have seen - we are all the same but we all have a different form and that is what makes us all great at what we do - If it was not for you letting me know about this great website I would not be where I am today - with the friends that I have made in the short time I have been here - it is priceless:eusa_danc

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Phillip, those are awesome man! :eek: Those vase/weedpots are still a mystery to me. :icon_scra Excellent work! :icon_thum

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Phillip, those are awesome man! :eek: Those vase/weedpots are still a mystery to me. :icon_scra Excellent work! :icon_thum

Thanks Trent - Do we need to do a "How To" on these weed pots - it is pretty simple really - I get a piece about six inches - turn it between centers to get it round and put a tenon on on the bottom so that I can clamp it in the four jaw chuck - then cut where I determine the waste = then cut and shape the outside of the vase - sand it (believe me mine needs alot of sanding) I clean it off with MS and apply a coat of BLO - let that soak in a bit them take a paper towel and dry the excess off = them I sit the tool rest at the end and take a 1/4" (I believe it is a bowl gouge) run it straight in at a depth determined from the size of the vase and the shape out the inside or just leave the hole as is - becareful doing it this way it does cause heat build up when you run the tool in - I guess you do not need to go all the way in to the depth at first - you can go in a little at a time - come to think about it I might have a bowl of water there to cool the tool off (Would that be a good idea? Anyone?) Then I return the rest to the side and cut it off - Alot of guys here have helped me with this - for I was having trouble with cutting the bottom - to those that have helped me thanks:icon_thum It might not be correct but that is the way I am doing it for now - :icon_scra could be why my thumb and wrist is hurting:slap::gar-La;

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Phillip,

Thanks for posting that. I wasn't sure what you used to do that. It seems a little tough to do with a bowl gouge. My main thing is, once you get down past the "neck", it seems like it would be really difficult to hollow out the bottom part with such a small opening. Very cool. I'll have to try one. :icon_thum

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Phillip,

Thanks for posting that. I wasn't sure what you used to do that. It seems a little tough to do with a bowl gouge. My main thing is, once you get down past the "neck", it seems like it would be really difficult to hollow out the bottom part with such a small opening. Very cool. I'll have to try one. :icon_thum

Trent, usually with a weed pot you do not hollow out the inside bottom - most people either drill a hole or cut one like I do - It is mainly just to put flowers in - I try to do some hollowing just for practice on some of mine but mostly just run the 1/4 " down the center and then round the edge a little at the beginning of the hole

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Trent - Do we need to do a "How To" on these weed pots - it is pretty simple really - I get a piece about six inches - turn it between centers to get it round and put a tenon on on the bottom so that I can clamp it in the four jaw chuck - then cut where I determine the waste = then cut and shape the outside of the vase - sand it (believe me mine needs alot of sanding) I clean it off with MS and apply a coat of BLO - let that soak in a bit them take a paper towel and dry the excess off = them I sit the tool rest at the end and take a 1/4" (I believe it is a bowl gouge) run it straight in at a depth determined from the size of the vase and the shape out the inside or just leave the hole as is - becareful doing it this way it does cause heat build up when you run the tool in - I guess you do not need to go all the way in to the depth at first - you can go in a little at a time - come to think about it I might have a bowl of water there to cool the tool off (Would that be a good idea? Anyone?) Then I return the rest to the side and cut it off - Alot of guys here have helped me with this - for I was having trouble with cutting the bottom - to those that have helped me thanks:icon_thum It might not be correct but that is the way I am doing it for now - :icon_scra could be why my thumb and wrist is hurting:slap::gar-La;

Phillip there are many ways to turn, and most of them aren't wrong. Here is how I go about making a weed pot/vase like this -

Weed_pot_005.jpg

I start like you with a square blank. Depending on the size I either just chuck it up square or if it's too large for my chuck jaws I will round it out between centers and cut a tenon to fit my chuck. Once I have the blanks round and secured in the chuck jaws, I turn to my drill chuck in the tail stock to bore the hole. Generally I do a ½-¾" dia. hole, depending on the size of the blank. This will ensure that you have a centered hole and it is parelle to the bed of the lathe. Then I take my cone center for my tail stock, or before I had that I would take a dowel that matched the dia. of the drilled hole and mount it in a block of scrap wood. True up the scrap and mark it's center point, this then can be inserted in the drilled hole and used as a place to locate your live center in the tail stock.
Then shape the outside, keeping in mind the diameter of the hole you have drilled because you don't want the OD meeting the ID. Before you part the piece off of the chuck you can take some very light scraping cuts on the inside to flare the opening more and make it look less like a drilled hole.
Then flip the piece using your home made dowel center as a drive center in the chuck and a little pressure from the tail center and you can take some light cuts to make a shallow concave in the bottom which will clean it up, and help it to sit better on a table.
For a taller pot/vase make sure you leave enough mass at the bottom to keep it upright if tall weeds are placed in it.

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors