And then the magic smoke oozed out of the table saw ...

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
With that budget an older US made cabinet saw is easily doable with money left over for upgrades. I jumped from a contractors saw to the Unisaw and haven’t thought twice. With the contractor saw I did rip 8/4 oak and cherry have a far easier time with the cabinet saw (mass and higher hp).

I added a shark guard to my ‘73 Unisaw that addresses some of the safety issues.

2B91D2B9-C01C-4FED-B7DA-71F4139F1C34.jpeg

Jeff

New User
Jeff
It might take more time than you have to get the saw you want so maybe I can offer some help. I have a 10” Bosch job site saw you can borrow for an extended period or I could mill up what you need - I have 4/4 poplar in the shop.

I also have the Bosh 4100 job site table saw. It has worked fine for many projects. I don't have room for a cabinet saw.

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone for your offers of assistance, suggestions, and comments.

I pulled the blade off the saw this morning and despite the operators manual stating there was nothing to service on this motor, I found a screw to allow oiling the arbor end bearing. After much fuss, I managed to find the right socket (hex screw with a slot that is difficult to access with the motor in place), oiled the front bearing, and reassembled.

After some testing, and a lot of searching (including with my bore scope camera, I did not find evidence of any easily accessible rear bearing oil port.

I started and stopped the saw about a dozen times, and as the oil worked its way through the bearing, things started operating in a more normal manner (insert dramatic music score here). Blade spun up much faster and kept spinning longer after power was removed.

Put the blade back on, readjusted for the dados I was cutting and was just about ready to cut the last one when I got interrupted. I went back and cut the last dado. I guess I had gotten so used to the blade stopping as if it had a magnetic brake installed (it doesn't), that I reached under to feel how hot the motor had gotten.

Nicked my right index finger. Did I mention that that was a new rip saw blade? Well, long story short, a quick trip to the doc in a box (they had no openings for today) and then to the ER to get my finger looked at. The PA's impression was "minor laceration", but cleaned and glued all the flaps back in place. An adhesive bandage for the next few days should help keep all the inside stuff inside.

So, my project is on hold for a few days while finger heals up. A new saw is still in the works, but without any great urgency ... allowing me ample time to review all of my options (and some of the options include a minor modification to the shop layout to allow a slightly larger table and working area).

I certainly didn't plan on spending all afternoon out of the shop, but it could have been far worse.

Regards,

Rick

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
um wow, you got away with one there Rick.
I'm very glad that's all it was - a painful reminder - or a minor laceration. Of course it could have been much worse, but you already know that.
Thanks for the reminder to all of us

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
There is Craftsamn for sale for $100 in the classifieds right now. It would be a better saw than what you were using

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
The SawStop contractor saw can also be had for $1700 but that is with the 30 inch fence. I looked at that fence when I bought my PCS but decided the extra for the 36 inch was worth it. It's not the extra 6 inches I wanted (mainly), the 36 is a much sturdier beefier fence. That ups the price of the contractor saw to $1900.

Both are with the 120V 1.75hp motor which my PCS has. I had issues with the thermal overload on the saw tripping when I tried to use full kerf blades (as I have with previous 120V saws). Once I switched to thin kerf blades, I have had no issues. Including with full depth rips.

I got stupid with a dado blade on and managed to get a few stitches earlier this year. But I still have the entire finger thanks to the brake. I've used a table saw for close to 50 years and that was my first incident. Glad I had the PCS.

I keep seeing these posts. You get hurt, but not bad. Hint, they demo with hot-dogs, not fingers! I keep thinking about a PCS and sell my trusty Ridgid. My biggest scares have been from lack of a proper riving knife and not using the right splitter plate. I really should. I figure it is a matter of time and I have been lucky for a lot of years. ( and careful)

Direct drive saws do not have the depth of cut a belt saw can. Not usually a problem. They are usually much lighter and for me. safety comes by the pound. The bigger and heavier, the more confidence the saw gives me I am in control. I am scared to death of bench top saws and not thrilled with a job-site size.

BrianBDH

New User
Brian
I have a Jet contractor saw i just put on CL. Couldn't list it here because I'm currently listed as a new user after 11 years.
This was step dads saw and has been moved to Apex. Needs to be fully assembled and tuned up. Needs a new belt. Has a sturdy Vega fence.
I would make you a good deal on it.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have a Jet contractor saw i just put on CL. .... Needs to be fully assembled and tuned up. Needs a new belt. Has a sturdy Vega fence. ....
I can't vouch for the TS, because mine is the delta version of this, but I have and LOVE that fence. Be aware with that long fence it will take up some shop real estate - it sure does in mine.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a Jet contractor saw i just put on CL. Couldn't list it here because I'm currently listed as a new user after 11 years.
This was step dads saw and has been moved to Apex. Needs to be fully assembled and tuned up. Needs a new belt. Has a sturdy Vega fence.

Come back tomorrow and your status will be returned to normal and you can post for sale here too. You have to login at least every 30 days to not revert to New User status.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
A lot of aging woodworkers are giving up their shops and others are trading up to high-end SawStops, which has made for some attractive bargains out there.
Keep an eye on Facebook Marketplace. There is the general marketplace and at least two Marketplace Groups that specialize in woodworking tools. $750-$1500 will, with patience and perseverance, get you a dandy 3HP cabinet saw. I'd be favoring a Powermatic 66 or PM2000. A General 350 or a clean Delta Unisaw would be a nice find too.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Bummer as I don't do Facebook. Found a new belt for my Ridgid on Amazon as it is OBE on the usual sites. Might be upgrading sooner than later if it does not return the table to vibration free.
Yea, a big PM 2000 or Unisaw would be nice, but they still don't have riving knives. Kind of a nuisance to be swapping plates ad-nauseum.

I should post all my extra small tools here in the morning. I have a pile of electronics too and have had bad luck shipping them. USPS destroyed a very fine tuner. Insurance is a total fraud as you have to have original purchase receipts and proof of repair costs.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Rick, You mentioned CL but I see far more good saws available on Facebook Marketplace recently. You need to check it out.
GregB

dpfeiffer

New User
Don
To had just noticed this morning that I’m listed as a new member also but I know I’ve been lurking around for 5-7 years at least. How long do you have to be here before your not a new guy anymore? I use the exact same color hair dye as most of the other guys so I’m not exactly the newest guy anymore, lol

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
You will update tomorrow, reset6 to new if no visits in 30 days

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS