...and, the first pen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommGuy107

New User
Dan
Nothing fancy, but it will forever be my first pen.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    602.7 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Are you looking for a critique? Never part with your first pen! There will never be another FIRST pen. Take it out in six months, you will be amazed at your improvements

CommGuy107

New User
Dan
Are you looking for a critique? Never part with your first pen! There will never be another FIRST pen. Take it out in six months, you will be amazed at your improvements
No critique needed, Bill. I will always see every flaw without prompting. I look forward to improving, and appreciate the advice you've already so generously shared.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
And so it begins. The never ending effort to save EVERY piece of scrap wood that might make a nice pen. Pretty soon, you'll have an entire cabinet full of pen blanks. And don't forget the acrylic blanks or corn cobs you can try. Enjoy.

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Or fill a 3/4" pvc pipe with sweet gum satellite balls. Fill in the air space with clear epoxy or polyester resin. Let it cure, turn the pipe off, you have a pen blank!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Or fill a 3/4" pvc pipe with sweet gum satellite balls. Fill in the air space with clear epoxy or polyester resin. Let it cure, turn the pipe off, you have a pen blank!
Epoxyed sweet gum balls. You do know most people try and eradicate them not preserve them - just saying...

Never do anything during the day that will keep you awake at night

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Epoxyed sweet gum balls. You do know most people try and eradicate them not preserve them - just saying...

Never do anything during the day that will keep you awake at night

Porcupine eggs........ :gar-La;

And don't forget the kits for letter openers, wine stoppers, key fobs, steak knives, and other items available. It is a slippery slope.....

CommGuy107

New User
Dan
And so it begins. The never ending effort to save EVERY piece of scrap wood that might make a nice pen. Pretty soon, you'll have an entire cabinet full of pen blanks. And don't forget the acrylic blanks or corn cobs you can try. Enjoy.

Ha! You're right! It's already begun, Dennis. Corn cobs, you say...? Now I may be the weird guy hanging around the trash can at the BBQ.

CommGuy107

New User
Dan
You guys have some cool ideas. I like this one a lot! I already scavenge the acorn caps and long leaf pine needles to embellish gourds. This will suit me just fine.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
You are on the way, dan. I have both my first pen (still writes and looks just like I finished it) and my second pen (it fragmented like a grenade - that taught me not to get so aggresive in my turning).

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
They are available at Woodcraft and other such places. Usually they are dyed & stabilized and make a unique pen, but they are brittle when turned to thin sections. I made one for my dad, but being raised on a farm, if he knew what I paid for a corncob he would have disinherited me! :gar-La;

Aerocustomsexotics

New User
Bill
I still have my first pen made a long time ago. Surprisingly it was a really good first attempt but I also had a few years of machine shop experience under my belt before venturing into wood turning. I also have all of my failed pens as well to serve as I reminder to slow down & think through each step. I have made a lot of pens with no clips or assembled something wrong!

Welcome to the madness. Hit me up if you want some exotic woods & burls to turn I have thousands of pen blanks domestic & exotics. I am a wood hoarder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS