And so the new shop begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I mean in process of planing a shop. What are those metal pieces....metal expansion joints without having to cut the slab after if sets up? What exactly are they called ? Please pardon my ignorance here and Thanks in advance.
Those are Key Lock Rails, saving the cost of cutting. After setting the slab will naturally crack in straight lines at those joints.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Looking good! Did you consider running DC ducting along with the power? Just checking your thoughts about wall/overhead ducting vs. floor ducts.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Looking good! Did you consider running DC ducting along with the power? Just checking your thoughts about wall/overhead ducting vs. floor ducts.

Nope, ducting will be overhead. If it was a crawl space, I probably would run under, but not with a concrete slab.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Slab poured

Framing starts tomorrow.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Slab poured.jpg
    Slab poured.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 296

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Those are Key Lock Rails, saving the cost of cutting. After setting the slab will naturally crack in straight lines at those joints.

That's a new one to me. I Googled "key lock rails", "key lock rails in concrete work" and came up with zilch for such an application. Do you have a reference or weblink to these gizmos? Thanks.

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
I'm enjoying following along for your build as I'm in planning mode for a future 30x40x10 and have many questions...

Will you have 10ft high ceilings ?

What type of insulation will you have in the walls & ceiling ?

What type of heating & cooling are you going with & what size (tons, BTUs, etc...) ?

What will be your lighting scheme ?

Thanks in advance !

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Looking good - and big! You might want to consider PVC pipe under slab for dust collection. I had the electrician just put in one outlet for me and the lighting circuit when I had my extra garage stall/shop built. I ran the other wiring around the room for the other outlets. I think I saved enough to pay for the upcharge to change out the panel to give me more spaces for breakers. I think they like to avoid the scheduling hassle of coming back for the finish.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
That's a new one to me. I Googled "key lock rails", "key lock rails in concrete work" and came up with zilch for such an application. Do you have a reference or weblink to these gizmos? Thanks.

They are basically leave-in-place screed rails. While pouring, the screed rides on them to level the pour. Once set, they also form the expansion joints, eliminating the need to do saw cuts.

I couldn't find Key Lock, but here is a similar product:

http://www.siteright.net/form-screed-rails-p-67.html (the usual, no affiliation, not endorsing etc etc)

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
And the framing is almost done. Waiting for roof trusses to be deliverred, everyone seems backed up, they are about eight days out.

attachment.php

Some of the questions answered.

Too late to run ducting in the floor, the slab was poured yesterday.

The ceilings are 10' I have an attic upstairs the whole length of the shop and it measures 7' high by around 9' wide. According to building code it is not habitable, but once the building is signed off, I have many plans waiting up there.

The lighting will be 8 ceiling mounted 4 tube LED fluorescent lights

What insulation I am not sure yet, the walls are 2 x 6.

Building will be air conditioned, including heating strips for the winter.

About the concrete expansion joints, they came from Builders First Source and were pretty inexpensive. They are galvanized steel rails, mounted with spikes or pegs in the base compaction prior to slab pouring and they align level with the grade as someone else mentioned in a post above. My previous house built 8 years ago had them in the garage floors and they worked out perfect.

Here are some pictures, one was left over and apologies it is full of mud.

End of profile

attachment.php

Holes for pegs to secure them on the foundation to be poured

attachment.php

The fold over part is the screed and expansion joint
attachment.php

Attachments

• Framing start.jpg
    Framing start.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 438
  • Rail.jpg
    Rail.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 434
  • Rail holes for pegs.jpg
    Rail holes for pegs.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 420
  • Rail end.jpg
    Rail end.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 422
Last edited:

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Roof shingles are installed, wiring rough in is done and now we are stuck. Waiting for the A/C folks to do their rough in before we can get the inspector to sign off, then insulation will follow. The A/C guys are backed up, so we are stuck for a week. Not sure when the shop will be done, we are going as fast as we can, and not bad progress for 3 weeks.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Roof tiles.jpg
    Roof tiles.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 294
  • Wiring.jpg
    Wiring.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 274
  • Interior.jpg
    Interior.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 288

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Overhead power? I prefer underground, and my shop services are all underground. I also had the house service cable, phone, and TV/Internet relocated to underground. It was above ground when I bought the house, and two times contractors tore it down with their equipment when arriving or leaving. I never have to deal with that issue again.

Great looking shop. I wish I had the room for one that big.

Charley

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
And we are making progress again.

Windows going in.

attachment.php

Air and heating going in.

attachment.php

And then there is the 10' x 45' bonus room upstairs... No idea yet what I am going to do with that, perhaps a cabinet showroom, perhaps a one bedroom apartment, perhaps just storage. Any ideas?

attachment.php

Attachments

• BRoom.jpg
    BRoom.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 238
  • Air con.jpg
    Air con.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 221
  • Window.jpg
    Window.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 216
Status