Anchor hardwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob the Mainer

New User
Bob
Has anyone gone to the Anchor Hardwood store on Old Wake Forest Rd? Selection? Prices? I saw their ad in the NO News, ALL ADS & Observer today. Their web site only lists a store in Wilmington

striker

New User
Stephen
no experience with them but donbake1 is a member and recently introduced himself as the manager of the Raleigh store. You might PM him or I'm sure he'll respond to your post.

Ben325e

New User
Ben
Nice guys working there. If you buy the wood there, they will surface and square it at no charge. I'm not sure how their prices compare, as I haven't bought much wood there, just popped in while on my way to visit my mother when she was in the hospital. Every now and then they get some strange wood species from the container ships coming in from east Asia and they sell these 3"x3"x10' (ten feet) pieces for ten bucks each. You have to watch craigslist to find out when they get them. There's no pattern to follow.

I bought some that when they cut it on the chop saw (I was in my camry) it smelled EXACTLY like Vicks Vapor Rub. I hope the Raleigh store is good for you guys :)

donbake1

New User
Don
Anchor Hardwoods, Raleigh just opened a couple of weeks ago. This is the second Anchor Hardwoods store; the original being in Wilmington. The current owners purchased the business a year ago and recently expanded to Raleigh. The new website should be up and running in a couple of weeks. We have domestic and imported hardwood. Inventory is growing daily. We let you pick the pieces you want and straight line rip and plane to desired thickness at no charge. We are working with TracyP, to get set up to offer discounts to DQ members. We do short runs of custom moulding in any species too. We also offer reclaimed anitique heart pine through Cape Fear Riverwood, a sister store in he same facility. Come check us out.

Don Baker, Store Manager
919-790-9449

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
... Every now and then they get some strange wood species from the container ships coming in from east Asia and they sell these 3"x3"x10' ...I bought some that when they cut it on the chop saw (I was in my camry) it smelled EXACTLY like Vicks Vapor Rub. I hope the Raleigh store is good for you guys :)

Sounds about the right size to be cargo dunnage. The smell is likely from the fumigation chemical - all dunnage has to be fumigated to be brought in. I got some nice Spanish oak from a steel cargo (I do cargo inspection for a living).

C.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I'm glad to hear of the new store and location. I frequented the Wilmington store when I lived there and Chip (and the rest of the guys) always took great care of me. Looking forward to checking out the new location. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

donbake1

New User
Don
We have a new website up and running "Anchorhardwoods.com" The DQ program is set up and we made our first sale to a member yesterday. Thanks. Also the DQ program is honored at our Wilmington Store for you guys in the Wilmington area.

Don Baker
Anchor Hardwoods
Raleigh,NC
919-790-9449

donbake1

New User
Don
The only pricing we have on the Anchorhardwoods.com website is on a link to our online e-business called Thinwoods.com. These are woods primarily used in the musical instrument business such as guitar building etc. Call me for your pricing on other woods.

Don

CatButler

New User
Bryan
Hi Don,

I was in your store last week. I bought a board and a Chatke turning blank, I believe the board was some sort of South American wood, that you had gotten a good price on. It was like 3.50/bd ft, a reddish brown wood cut into boards about 4' x 6". I forgot the name of the wood. It wasn't listed on the receipt. Can tell me what it was?

Thanks Bryan.

donbake1

New User
Don
Thanks Bryan. The wood you bought was Angelim Pedra, a very hard dense wood. Hope it works well for you. Sorry about not showing up on your invoice. We had a computer glitch and now the wood description shows on the invoices. If anyone else is interested we have a pallet full of 6" x 48" x 5/4 pieces of very good quality material at $3.95 / BF. This has a look similar to mahogany, but with an unusual beautiful grain pattern. Very hard and dense wood 3450 on the Janka scale. Should give your tools a workout.

Don Baker
Anchor Hardwoods
6716 Old Wake Forest Rd.
Raleigh, 27616
919-790-9449

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS