An exercise in modern joinery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
After finishing my first set of shop cabinets I ended up with a lot of scrap and still more stuff to organize, so I built this simple saw accessories cabinet. It's actually two separate cabinets, I figured if I ever want to rearrange things that could be useful.

saw_accessories_cabinet1.jpg

View image in gallery

This was the first project where I got to use my new Jessem doweling jig. Dowels work really well with finished plywood, since you don't have to cut rabbets or dadoes to make the glue work. Both carcasses are built using dowels, 5 per joint. The joints are spot on, the jig is extremely accurate. As long as you remember to reference off the correct face, it's pretty much fool proof. With 3/4" material, you're limited to just a 1/2" deep hole for each dowel, but that's plenty strong for a cabinet this size.

The face frames were built using pocket screws. It's very quick, but with narrow face frames there is only room for one pocket screw, which means the rails can twist out of alignment. Since you only have to drill one side of the joint, it's a very easy way of joining things, except that you need to cramp-clamp everything in place to avoid movement. I think that with a clamp table where you can secure each member things would go a lot smoother. I might integrate something like that in my assembly table (probably in 2014 or so, at my rate...)

The face frames were attached with face frame biscuits. This is also extremely quick, the hardest part is adjusting the fence on the biscuit joiner so that face frame and carcass line up. Since the face frame has an overhang, you can't reference the same side, so a little trial and error is involved.

All three methods have their pros and cons, so I don't think I'll be listing any "superfluous" tools in the Classifieds anytime soon. Now, about that Domino and Multi-router.... :gar-La;

T

toolferone

Looks great Bas! Nothing better then easy access to the tools you need when you need them. This will also help the blades from not banging into each other. Shop cabinets are the best way to try out new techniques. I did a small FF cabinet with only one pocket hole. What I did was to use my 23 ga pinner to pop a pin or two next to the pocket to help with twisting. I also glued these.

You need to get rid of those non red blades!!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nifty design and execution there, Bas!:icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers

AND.......rewarded with a doweling convert too! (You don't need a Domino!!!!! ....I know, you just want it.....)

You sure will have easy access to the TS accessories with that setup. I end up checking wall peg hooks, drawers, benchtops and cabinets just looking for a blade, feather board or push stick.:wwink:

I have made several narrow faceframes with pocket screws or dowels with glue and never had an issue. With the faceframe secured to the cabinet with glue and biscuits, I am sure it ain't gonna go anywhere too soon.

Nice to see everything coming together for you so well. (I need to try some of that prefinished ply one day.)

Glad to see you back making some sawdust.

Wayne

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
nice saw blade rack, I'm gonna copy it soon as I get a chance too :eusa_danc

Unless you have a granite top tablesaw, you might want to look into the magswitch ones. They are a huge improvement over the ones that ride in the miter slot.

Glennbear

Glenn
Nicely done Bas:icon_thum As Tom said, when you only have room for one pocket a pinner does help. :wsmile:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
What I did was to use my 23 ga pinner to pop a pin or two next to the pocket to help with twisting. I also glued these.
That's a great idea, that should give it just enough strength not to move during assembly.

You need to get rid of those non red blades!!
Eh, no. I'm not cutting laminate flooring, pressure treated lumber, PVC or junk wood with my Freud blades, that's what the non-red blades are for :)

Nice work Bas... they look great! What's next?
Well, I'm either starting on the base cabinets to complement the uppers, or soundproof the closet and do my Dust Collection system. Not sure which one yet.

nice saw blade rack, I'm gonna copy it soon as I get a chance too :eusa_danc
Just so you know, there is a cork block glued at the bottom of each "ramp" so that the teeth don't hit the back of the cabinet when you're a little careless. Carbide is very hard but very brittle

CDN_Maple

New User
ETN
nice and practical. I have saw blades in multiple locations, this might be the answer. Thanks for sharing! Well done.

DonDeJ

New User
Don
Anybody who has enough time to make nice things like that has waaaaaay too much time on his hands.:rotflm:Now what did you say the dimensions of those things were...
Nice work!

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Great plan and execution on those!
Besides just looking so good, they are well thought out.
Cork bumper is a great thought as well.

trying to decide how I might alter just a little to hold all my (both) blades... :slap:
actually trying to see how the panel cutter would work well into it, but as you sectioned it, ought to be very doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS