Ambrosia Maple Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

manfre

New User
Manfre
I misplaced my bottle stopper chuck, so ended up with a cleaner workshop and this ambrosia maple bowl. [strike]Still can't find the bottle stopper chuck.[/strike] FOUND IT! (wasn't in the workshop)

I need to cleanup the bottle and sand it a bunch more before finishing. I finally understand the value of a reversible lathe. Next one will have that feature because manually reversing the lathe is a lot of work. Any suggestions on what finishes would work to fill the beetle holes and make the bowl shine? Should I even bother to try and fill the beetle holes?

IMG_20111225_202708.jpg

Truefire

New User
Chris
Nice job on the bowl, pretty cool. If you were ever interested in installing a reverse rotation on your motor it is very easy to do in some cases. If you have a Jet lathe with the variable speed control box, you can install a double pole-double throw switch to obtain a reverse rotation. A flip of the switch again and you have forward rotation.

It is relatively simple to do and can be accomplished with a $5.60 double pole-double throw switch from radio shack.

Let me know if you might be interested, i have some literature that i could send you that would assist in this.

I installed this switch on my lathe some 5-6 years ago and have not had any issues, not anything but good things. I use the reverse rotation when sanding, this way i get to sand in both directions... also when cutting inside bores when i need to be able to see inside the piece as it is being turned such as implementing o-rings inside my duck calls.

It works really well, i may or may not be able to assist you if the lathe is some brand other than a jet with a variable control box.
Chris

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
RE Reversing electrically - first thing to do is check the motor faceplate and make sure it's reversible. If so, then you can do the pole reversal with a DPDT switch...

C.

manfre

New User
Manfre
I appreciate the offer, but I have the Delta 46-455. It's not variable speed and I'm not motivated enough to mess around with the motor. I'll need to create a few chucks to allow me to mount the bowls to reverse the sanding direction. That should work well enough. I mostly turn bottle stoppers and other small spindly things that are easy enough to flip and mount for the rare times that I've needed to reverse sand.

cskipper

Cathy
Nice bowl! Use a food safe finish if you are planning to use it that way. I wouldn't fill in the bug holes unless you want to use it for liquids. They are a significant part of the wood - jmtcw

I'm confused about the discussion about having a reversing motor - don't you. Just tum the bowl around and rechuck it (in essence fever chucking it)?

Last edited:

manfre

New User
Manfre
I'm confused about the discussion about having a reversing motor - don't you. Just tum the bowl around and rechuck it (in essence fever chucking it)?

I plan on buying or building a cole jaw chuck, which will work for sanding the outside. I want one of those anyway so I can easily finish up the bottom of this bowl.

I'm not entirely sure how to mount the bowl to let me reverse the direction and sand the inside. The best thing that I can think of is to sandwich the bowl between the live center and a 4-5" long spindle with some double sided tape. That should let me sand most of the inside walls of the bowl without my hand getting uncomfortably close to the chuck.

What is "fever chucking"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS