amber shellac vs. clear shellac on walnut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Does anyone have any photos of side by side comparisons of dewaxed amber shellac and plain dewaxed shellac on walnut?

Thanks

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I don't have pics, but I do have both shellacs and you're welcome to come by and conduct your own test.
Joe

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I don't have any side-by-side comparisons, but I can tell you that Amber Shellac gives Walnut a beautiful, rich tone. In fact, it's become my standard finish for Walnut. The legs of this table are finished w/ Amber Shellac.

441.JPG

View image in gallery

HTH

Bill

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I've used amber and blonde on walnut. IMO, kiln-dried benefits from the extra warmth of the amber. Sorry I don't have any pics - it was many years ago that I tried them both. On air-dried walnut, I think they both look fine.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the replies and the photos. Joe, thanks for the offer; I will send you a PM as I get closer to the finishing steps.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
After seeing the fading of my walnut pieces from sunlight, I tried exterior poly thinned about 1/3 to make wipe on. The exterior poly has UV inhibitor in it. It was very easy to apply and gives me at least a chance of enjoying the deep natural color of the heartwood a bit longer. The fading of my older pieces doesn't look too bad until you compare the color of areas not exposed to sun to the areas that got indirect sunlight.

striker

New User
Stephen
I've used garnet shellac on walnut. I think that's what is generally recommended to enhance walnut.

SS

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
>>>> I tried exterior poly thinned about 1/3 to make wipe on. The exterior poly has UV inhibitor in it.

If you used a big box brand of exterior poly, you will get very little UV protection and what UV protection you get will be short lived. Polyurethane is quickly damaged by UV and should be avoided where UV could be a problem. As the UV protectorant absorbs the UV it is itself destroyed. Even true marine non-poly exterior varnishes need sanding and re-application every year or two. Big box brands of exterior poly have a relatively small amount of UV additive. By thinning it you have further reduced the effectiveness of the remaining UV protection.

The UV protection added to finishes is there to protect the finish, not the underlying wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors