Am I the only one who does this ?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Removing safety cap. You know, the ones with the white plastic you have to push down to open the container. Dammit ! in the quest trying to make things idiot proof, all that gets accomplished is a little more frustration.
Ahhhh!!! but there is a fix for this, just cut the infernal things off. I started doing this about maybe 8-10 years ago. I keep all volatiles safe from kids, so don't care what others think.
The biggest issue is over time those plastic whit tops get stripped and then, you need channel locks to open and then, the top is now egged so it leaks.

Just cut them off with a utility knife and move on ..... ;) ... and remember to store them safely.
Caps  (1).jpg
Caps  (2).jpg
Caps  (3).jpg

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
The acetone is not that old that is what happens to metal when you live on an island 1 mile from the shore in the middle of the ocean

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I have not removed them intentionally. I have had them strip, used pliers to get the cap off and ended up with a leaking egg shaped hole though!

Reactions: Oka

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
IMO, opening a can of solvent should not require a tool. I usually decant these into an easier to use container.
5BB292B0-AC77-4339-AC98-A44DA4A90E5A.jpeg

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I also cut those stupid things off. I have a lock for my finishing cabinet that I can put on if the kids bring children.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Interesting ways to skin that aggravating cat! My solvent cans used to have that style of cap which needed a firm thumb pushing down on the cap and channel locks to open but I never had a stripped lid or an egg shaped opening.

My Jasco solvent can lids today have a different design that's a lot more user friendly. The turn cap lid has a tab on it that turns pretty easily for opening. It can be cut off but it's not necessary.

P1010023 (1).png

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Unless you're my sister who required a bunch of stitches after the utility knife slipped while she was attempting this operation on a can of linseed oil. Drove the blade into the meat of her left thumb. We used to offer to cut her food for her, her history with sharp object was so bad.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS