Always wanted to try this

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Ever have a strange idea and wanted to try it? This one came out pretty good. I made a small box out of spatled maple about 6"x8"5" for a friend's wife. Took some of her family photos and etched them on a piece of copper. Filled the etched image with white epoxy resin, tarnished the copper with a weak acid solution so the image looks like a sepia tone. I inlayed the copper into the lid of the box.

Sorry about the photo quality but I think you'll get the idea.

DSCN02701.JPG

DSCN0271.JPG

DSCN0277.JPG

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Strange idea? More like stroke of genius. That's a project that came out beautifully.

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks great!
Please, tell us more about the etching process. I know this is a WWing site, but I consider this 'collateral learnin'.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
That looks great! How about a little "How To" for those of us who are etching challenged?

Ernie

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
That's gonna be one happy neighbor, Rick!

Great job on the keepsake box.:eusa_clap

M

McRabbet

Great job, Rick! Your photoetching moves up another notch! A beautiful and permanent heirloom for you friends.

I don't want to steal Rick's thunder, but I know he uses photosensitized copper plates since he is an engraver by trade. For a small fee, he used some scrap materials for a small job for me that resulted in my signature medallion that is shown on my personal profile page and below. Rick etched several for me, I cut them roughly to the black line (1-1/8" diameter) and sanded them to that diameter. Then I spray painted them with Black Krylon and when that dried, I removed the surface paint starting with 120 grit 3M Automotive sandpaper and finished at 400 grit. They look great embedded into a shallow Forstner Bit hole.

profilepic296_1.gif

rbdoby

New User
Rick
OK, Here's a crash course in photo etching. I do this for a living so I have all the equipment. If you want to try this on your own it is the same process used to make printed circuit boards. The ecthing plates I make are used for engraved stationery; letterhead, envelops, business cards and wedding invitations. One source for metal, resist and acids that I have used is http://www.graphicchemical.com. You may also want to do a search for printmaking supplies or check out the bookstore at your local college. If your local college offers printintmaking in the art department they might even make the plate for you.

Here's how I made the plate for this box:

Step 1: Scan the photographs and manipulate them with ever software you have. I used Photoshop and Illustrator.

Step 2: Generate your film. This can made with a copy camera, an image setter, a transparency. you can even use a Sharpie and a piece of clear acetate.

A couple of points here:

The image on the film needs to be the correct size. The film will placed directly on the plate to burn the image so make sure the size is correct on the film.

Photo sensitive resists for etching metal are referred to as either NEGATIVE working or POSITIVE working. Read this carefully it gets a little confusing. If the resist you are using is a NEGATIVE working resist you need a positive image on you film to expose it. As you look at your film the areas that you want to etch should be black and the areas you do not want to etch should be clear. This type of film is referred to as a Positive. If you are using a Positive working resist the opposite is the norm. The areas you want to etch should be clear on the film and the areas you do not want to etch should be black. This type of film is referred to as a Negative.

Step 3: Burn the image on the plate. This is done by placing you film on the plate coated with photo resist and exposing it with a light source. Different resists require different light sources. Refer to your instructions for exposure time. After burning the image develop it. The areas you want to etch develop away.

Step 4: Etch the plate. Place the plate in a tray of acid. For copper I use ferric chloride. For steel or zinc you want a nitric acid. The acid should cove the plate by about 1/4" deep. Gently rock the tray every few minutes to agitate the acid. After the image is etched to the desired depth remove and clean the plate. This is a slow process, be prepared to spend at least an hour for etching copper. You want a depth of at least .010" the thickness of 2 pieces of 24 lb. paper

Step 5:Back fill the image with white epoxy resin. I used Colores from Rio Grande http://www.riogrande.com/

Step 6: Sand the epoxy flush with the surface of the metal with at least 600 grit.

Step 7: Tarnish the copper. This provides contrast so you can see the image. Let it tarnish naturally or use a weak solution it nitric acid.

Step 8: Clear coat the plate to protect it and it is ready to inlay.

If you have any more questions let me know.

Rick Doby

lottathought

New User
Michael
Rick..that is a Fantastic idea. No wonder you have been so quiet lately...been sitting in a corner thinking...:gar-Bi

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Rick,

That is one HECK of a cool idea and a beautiful result! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS