Alternative to Kreg brand screws?

wwian

New User
Ian Worthington
Hey Folks,

[At the risk of starting another pocket screw argument, I'm not asking for comments about using pocket screws.]

I'm going to be building a lot of drawers for some upcoming projects, using a lot of pocket screws. Have any of you to found a reliable brand cheaper than Kreg brand screws?

Thanks for any wisdoms!

TB2

New User
Kent
Where do you get your lumber? Being a cabinetmaker I get mine from Rugby out of Kernersville or Wurth out of Charlotte. But I may buy 2500-5000 at a time. Not sure but Wurth may have a Raleigh post.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Ebay has boxes of 500 for less than $25. For drawers (using 1/2" ply) you are going to need 1". On RARE occasions, HD runs boxes of 1000 for less than $20.00

ste6168

New User
Mike
Hey Folks,

[At the risk of starting another pocket screw argument, I'm not asking for comments about using pocket screws.]

I'm going to be building a lot of drawers for some upcoming projects, using a lot of pocket screws. Have any of you to found a reliable brand cheaper than Kreg brand screws?

Thanks for any wisdoms!

I bought a Milescraft small kit and the screws that came with it seem to be identical, other than the star vs square drive. I never purchased the screws separately, though (IIRC, it was cheaper to buy their whole small kit, than just the kreg drill bit.) I don't use pocket screws a ton, but have the K5 (I think) kit from Kreg. I also bought some other brand from Lowes once, they where darker in color, they seemed to work fine as well, but don't think they where much/any cheaper, just happened to have that brand in the size I needed.

Moral of the story, I think they'll all work equally as well. I'd probably just stick with Kreg, unless the other options are significantly cheaper.

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
I sure wish that Kreg or some other company would come up with a 1 3/8" pocket screw.
By the way, watch for quality of some of the "off brands"

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I have purchased Pocket Hole Screws from Custom Service Hardware (CSHardware.com) in the past and have been pleased with their prices and value of the products.

DJwoodguy

New User
Dave
I use screws from Mcfeely's and have been very satisfied. $29.50 per 1000, but if you can swing the 8000 pack goes down to $21.25, they also usually have coupons for first time purchase.

They don't spoil ya know.

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Where do you get your lumber? Being a cabinetmaker I get mine from Rugby out of Kernersville or Wurth out of Charlotte. But I may buy 2500-5000 at a time. Not sure but Wurth may have a Raleigh post.

Hi Kent ... thanks for the pointer on Rugby ... I'll have to call them to get their hours as I have been searching for a good local source for Baltic Birch plywood. While Southeast Lumber is just around the corner ... they only deal in full lifts (typically 48 sheets), and I REALLY don't have the room for that much material!

Regards,

Rick

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ian,
Klingspor carries Pan-Am brand (Kreg-like) screws - it is worth a call to get pricing.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have dealt with Mcfeely's for years. Their prices and quality is very good. They have a line of pocket hole screws. All a Kreg screw is is an number 8 pan head square drive. A call to Kreg confirmed the no. 8 size. One look and you know it's a pan head. I don't have a answer on the course and fine thread I use standard thread which I think Kreg calls course.

Pop

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
The "Kreg" screw is a pan-washer head with a square drive or a cheese head with a square drive and the shank is slotted to function like a "cutting thread" rather than acting like a wedge (think of how the point of a sheet metal screw would function in wood - typically it will create splits if the pilot hole is not large enough)

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
FWIW, while haven’t needed to buy them in bulk, I am very satisfied with the screws that Kreg sells.

In fact, I am so highly satisfied, that I’d be very hard pressed to even consider using another manufacturer’s pocket screws.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS