Alignment Gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have becoming very frustrated with trying to set fence alignment on my old RT. They just imprinted a scale on the RT surface that has worn off very quickly!

Fading_Scale.jpg

Last week I received the latest issue of Woodsmith magazine (Vol. 28 / No. 167) in the mail and low and behold they had my solution! I made a version of their Fence Alignment Gauge from some scrap cherry. It actually seems to work very well and so simple to make! (Did have little trouble getting the brass threaded insert into that hard old cherry though!:BangHead: That is some really hard wood! Harder I believe than the red oak I have used in the past. Every day is a learning experience - with WOOD!!!

Here is the new gauge....

Fence_Alignment_Gauge.jpg

Thanks for lookin',

Wayne

macdaddy

New User
Steve
Great job. I never did like using the numbers on the gages printed on machinery. It is always better to use some independant measuring device.

macdaddy

M

McRabbet

Nice job on the alignment jig, Wayne. I've found a solution to the problems you encountered with threaded inserts into hardwood (try hard maple sometime!). I found that you need to bore the hole nearly the full diameter of the threaded insert. Then, put a bolt dipped into a little Vaseline and with a jam nut into the insert and take the bolt to the bottom. Clean off the Vaseline and cover the end with masking tape. Bring the jam nut down to secure the insert onto the bolt. Next, put some 5-minute epoxy onto the threaded insert threads and into the hole and screw the insert into place, keeping it aligned. Let it cure overnight and remove the bolt. Works sweet and the insert will never back out.

Rob

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I found that you need to bore the hole nearly the full diameter of the threaded insert. Then, put a bolt dipped into a little Vaseline and with a jam nut into the insert and take the bolt to the bottom. Clean off the Vaseline and cover the end with masking tape. Bring the jam nut down to secure the insert onto the bolt. Next, put some 5-minute epoxy onto the threaded insert threads and into the hole and screw the insert into place, keeping it aligned. Let it cure overnight and remove the bolt. Works sweet and the insert will never back out.

Rob

Thanks a bunch, Rob! I will have to remember this little trick .....next time! :eusa_clap

Wayne

sapwood

New User
Roger
Wayne, that is a neat solution and it looks great too :eusa_clap

Thanks for sharing,
Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS