Air hose anchor

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
The sheathing panel is (mostly?) nailed down thus trapping his air hose. SOP?
F03C8485-9000-4FB5-B603-0D07D07A724A.jpeg

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
When roofing, I've made a hook from a steel coat hanger and attached it to my air hose with a small radiator hose clamp. I hooked it to the top of the panel and let the hose hang down the outside. Then unhook and move to the top of the next panel when necessary. It also helps to have a hook on the nail gun to hook to ladder, panel, or anything within reach. If right handed, the hook should go on the right.

I agree about the roof jack, but 50 years ago on fresh plywood, the roof was easy to walk on, until it started raining. Wanting to drive the last few nails into the fresh plywood before pulling a tarp over it required driving a few 8D nails in part way to stand and hang onto. That new plywood became very slippery in the rain. This wasn't OSHA Acceptable either, but very necessary at the time.

Charley

ssmith

New User
Scott
No thanks - I'll stay on the ground!

Besides the hose problem it looks like he's dealing with at least a 12/12 pitch too.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
He probably either notched the sheathing or it's not nailed down tight where the hose comes through. Leaving it loose would have made putting on clips harder, so there may be a purlin block on that joint. BITD, 12/12 pitches were, for me anyways, easier to sheath. Not as much stooping over, and a toe cleat every course was all I needed, taking them back off as I came back down rolling out felt paper. Nowadays a safety harness and fall arrester wouldn't do me much good. I've turned into more of a 'hand up the plywood' guy.
Around here, framers are wrapping the houses and leaving the window cuts in due to long lead times on windows.
Really making a bottleneck on other trades.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Trapping the air hose will enable him to slide down it once he's nail down his lack of ability to climb inside to get another 2x4 to stand on.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Reading Dennis's post reminds me "The older I get, the better I used to be!" Shingled my last 12/12 pitch roof from top towards bottom. Put set of roof jacks where I could reach the ridge, and shingled down. Did the cap shingles from other side (4/12 pitch.) Reset roof jacks and repeat.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looking at the photo again, I noticed one detail that we don't use anymore. The barge rafters are supported by blocks back to the gable truss. We order our gable rafters shorter in height and have the 'ladder's' rungs run back to the first regular truss to avoid sagging out. The method shown will require the sheathing to support the barge rafter and not the other way around as it should be. Different strokes, I guess.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Looking at the photo again, I noticed one detail that we don't use anymore. The barge rafters are supported by blocks back to the gable truss. We order our gable rafters shorter in height and have the 'ladder's' rungs run back to the first regular truss to avoid sagging out. The method shown will require the sheathing to support the barge rafter and not the other way around as it should be. Different strokes, I guess.
Gees. What you expect for a measly half million bucks. :D in 10 to 20 years these new homes will be tomorrows ghettos.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Gees. What you expect for a measly half million bucks. :D in 10 to 20 years these new homes will be tomorrows ghettos.
In that neighborhood, probably will be asking well over 0.8 megabuck.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Price doesn't necessarily equate to quality. In my years of working, some of the sorriest built homes I worked in, were the more expensive. Once in a half million (built in 1986) the built up girder which supported both first and second floor, lacked about 4 inches of hitting support pier. Builder put a piece of treated 2X8 on the ground and stuck a 4X4 post on it to support girder. We refered to houses in this upscale neighborhood as "line in the sand houses." When going in to fix something, we weren't going to fix anything beyond the "line in the sand."

Last edited:

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
looks like he's got that hose around his neck. I'm sure he figured that that would keep him from hitting the ground.

:confused:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS