Air Compressor Recommendations

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
My air compressor stopped working this week after 10 years of hard use. It was undersized (60 Gallon, 3 HP) and never kept up with an air sander. I'm looking at 80 Gallon 5 HP and 7.5 HP compressors. Will a 5 HP compressor keep up with 1, possibly 2 sanders? I'd love to get everyone's opinion. Are there any brands to stay away from?

ck1999

Chris
User
We use quincy and have been happy with them at where I work. We definitely saw a big difference between 5 and 7.5 hp. So if you can go with bigger. We bought direct from quincy, but I think northern tool sells them as well m

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I also opted to go with a Quincy and highly recommend them. I got the 5HP 4 cylinder - lots of air

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
HP means nothing. CFM and tank size does. Air Sanders require a lot of air. 20+ CFM and minimum 80 gallon should be fine.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Took my comment Fred. Want to look are cfm. There are usually 2-4 numbers they will list. Usually 45psi 90psi 120 psi and sometimes they might show 150psi.

90 & 120 are the most common posted. Should have a 80gal min tank if your old one is dead daisy chain the new one to the old tank then you would have more capacity.

HP means nothing. CFM and tank size does. Air Sanders require a lot of air. 20+ CFM and minimum 80 gallon should be fine.

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
Took my comment Fred. Want to look are cfm. There are usually 2-4 numbers they will list. Usually 45psi 90psi 120 psi and sometimes they might show 150psi.

90 & 120 are the most common posted. Should have a 80gal min tank if your old one is dead daisy chain the new one to the old tank then you would have more capacity.
If I were to daisy chain the old 60 Gal with the new 80 Gal, wouldn't I need a larger / more powerful compressor to fill the tanks?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
If I were to daisy chain the old 60 Gal with the new 80 Gal, wouldn't I need a larger / more powerful compressor to fill the tanks?
No but you still won't have more CFM. You will deplete the air supply faster than the compressor can produce. I have a 5HP compressor putting out 21 CFM @90 PSI
It sits on a 40 gallon tank with a 60 gallon spare tank if I need more air capacity but the CFM is still 21. This makes it go longer before it kicks on and runs longer to refill but still 21 CFM. I could probably run 2 air sanders if needed. Mostly I only turn on the spare tank if using my impact tools. I've never ran out of air.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS