Aging Brass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Does anyone know how to "age/antique" brass? I've got some hinges that are a little too bright for my taste.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have used copper sulphate when I was repairing stained glass windows. Buff with 4/0 steel wool then degrease very well with acetone. Wear gloves, work outdoors and have water handy to douse any spills.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Second hand info - I read this in a project's instructions once but have not done it...

Wipe on/off pure linseed or tung oil (not BLO or one of those mixed finishes; a 100% pure oil) and then hit it with a heat gun.

CarvedTones

Andy

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Picking a nit, but as a chemist does it bother you that the page says they do it without chemicals and then use sodium chloride and acetic acid? :rolleyes: :D

I do like the simplicity.

Yep, I like it and noticed that point immediately. If it's sea salt and cider vinegar (acetic acid) it's all natural and doesn't qualify as a chemical. However, if it's made in a lab or refinery (white vinegar = acetic acid) it mutates to a harmful "chemical".

One of my favorites is quinine (from the cinchona tree) dating to pre-WWII treatment of malaria. Synthetic quinine was produced in a lab in the 1940s to boost the supply for our soldiers in the Pacific theatre. Well, the latter is a chemical so I now omit the Schweppe's Tonic and drink straight gin!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
One of my favorites is quinine (from the cinchona tree) dating to pre-WWII treatment of malaria. Synthetic quinine was produced in a lab in the 1940s to boost the supply for our soldiers in the Pacific theatre. Well, the latter is a chemical so I now omit the Schweppe's Tonic and drink straight gin!

Hope this isn't considered a thread hijack. About two years ago I was suffering with severe leg cramps in the evening after a long day in the shop. Our own, Joe Scharle, suggested I try quinine water! Well, ever since his suggestion, I have been dinking a few glasses of diet tonic water (w/quinine) and lemon juice and have rarely have a cramp! Works like a champ. On the odd day that I do, I take a tablespoon of yellow mustard and the cramp disappears in an instant.:)

Now back to your regular scheduled program.:embaresse

Wayne

cripto

New User
cripto
I am not trying to be gross with this but a my grandfather use to do brass and copper aging all the time and sadly what he used was urine. did it with buttons and hinges, keys, all sorts of stuff. I think he would just soak them in it for a few days. I know this is gross but it worked really well and after he cleaned them up they looked great. It was still kind of weird though.

CarvedTones

Andy
Well if we get back into nerd speak, it is a solution of diluted uric acid and inorganic salts, so I would expect it to have similar results to the vinegar and salt method.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I tried the salt/vinegar/heating, didn't work. then I did the salt/vinegar/ammonia worked like a champ

Maurice Ungaro

New User
Maurice
Well if we get back into nerd speak, it is a solution of diluted uric acid and inorganic salts, so I would expect it to have similar results to the vinegar and salt method.

Well as a Civil War reenactor, we who are strict about the authenticity of our impressions are called "button ####ers".

Jeff

New User
Jeff

That is correct. The acidity of uric acid in biological fluids is about the same as cider vinegar.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Interesting. How about a few pics for visual effect?

The smaller one is the color the larger one was before the treatment
DSC_0880.JPG

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
I'm guessing that it's a pricey concoction of one of the home-brew formulas already offered as a response, but on the two occasions where I need to age brass, I had good results with the liquid that Rockler sells for that purpose.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS