Aged Oak "basket bowl"

karlkoch

New User
Karl
I've combined the various techniques that I've been playing with lately. Shouldered oak bowl - turned and sanded to 180 grit then cut with parting tool on inside and indexed router jig on the outside to make the "basket" effect. Sandblasted to accentuate grain and create texture then ebonized and whitewashed. Sanded back with 320 grit to remove some of the whitewash and then paste waxed and burnished with leather.

Attachments

• oakbasket1.jpg
    oakbasket1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 220
  • oakbasket2.jpg
    oakbasket2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 215
  • oakbasket3.jpg
    oakbasket3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 203
  • oakbasket4.jpg
    oakbasket4.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 205

karlkoch

New User
Karl
Very nice work. Did you have a sketch before starting or did it evolve as you turned?

Roy G
Thank you. I did not sketch this one although I do sketch many of the pieces I make ahead of time, especially the hollow forms. I have done enough of these that I am starting to know the wall thickness that I want to leave for a given router bit/depth. Also, I am starting to compile notes on the different router bits and how much distance there will be between "flutes" on a piece of a given diameter. My lathe had 48 indexed "stops" built into it so I can space my cuts evenly (or not) using numbers that divide into 48 so there is some planning involved even without a sketch. I hope this answers your question.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS