After market bandsaw fence

Kelly

Kelly
User
I need to replace the stock fence on my 18” Rikon bandsaw. Can anyone suggest a solid replacement ?
Thanks

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Is that an aluminum table or cast iron?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Seems the market ( advertised/sponsored reviews) favors the Kreg. I looked at one and was not impressed. You could maybe use parts from SuperCoolTools. I don't trust magnetic fences. Maybe the magnet stuff I tied was not top quality. Anyway, I am sticking with my Harvey OEM fence with an addition of a tall plate for resaw.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I use a magnetic fence but I also use an additional magnet behind it to make sure there is no shifting. Love it I can cut .010 cleanly

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I use a magnetic fence but I also use an additional magnet behind it to make sure there is no shifting. Love it I can cut .010 cleanly
How do you know how to keep it in line with the prefered no drift cut? Once I squared my fence to the table, then found the correct tracking and adjusted the table to that, it stays right on when I move the fence in and out. I just bolt on an 8 inch slab of phenolic when I do a resaw.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Are you using the Magfence brand? I have an 18” as well and the aftermarket fences are not available in that size. The Magfence is the only one I have seen. I built a wooden fence but it takes a while to set up. Magfence offers an alignment tool that gets good reviews

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I mounted a 7" piece of bb ply that is laminated to the mag fence. Once it is squared and set I use a 6 " magnet tooling base that is 250lbs mag strength behind it to prevent shifting. Works like a charm
Are you using the Magfence brand? I have an 18” as well and the aftermarket fences are not available in that size. The Magfence is the only one I have seen. I built a wooden fence but it takes a while to set up. Magfence offers an alignment tool that gets good reviews

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
What am I missing (note that sometimes I don’t have a remarkable grasp of the obvious)?

I use a “T” style bandsaw fence which I carefully aligned just once and subsequently simply adjust for the desired width of cut.

Doesn’t a magnetic fence have to be aligned every time that one moves it?

What is its advantage then?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
What am I missing (note that sometimes I don’t have a remarkable grasp of the obvious)?

I use a “T” style bandsaw fence which I carefully aligned just once and subsequently simply adjust for the desired width of cut.

Doesn’t a magnetic fence have to be aligned every time that one moves it?

What is its advantage then?
My question exaxctlly. Or maybe get a T-square fence off an old table saw that is being upgraded.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I put a Kreg on my Rikon 10-345. I assume this is your saw.

Lining up the available holes, the fence was positioned way to far to the right so I drilled holes in the table and shifted it to the left.

No doubt it's a huge improvement over the stock fence, I would rate it 3/5 overall. My biggest gripe is if you slide it to the left when its off the table it tends to sag. But its easy to remove and easy to adjust. The T slots make adding a tall resaw fence pretty easy.

Not being able to use the stock wing nuts, changing the blade is require unbolting the fence rail. :-(

I was at the Rockler store the other day and drooled over a Laguna 18". I'm sure I will eventually sell the Rikon and get one.

But first, I need to sell my PM floor mortiser to help pay for a laser!!

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
This design has a tee so that the magnetic fence can be aligned repeatedly.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Cast iron
That is good Kelly,
I think I would try the Magswitch or the Carter Magfast., no personal experience here, just read a lot about them.

I think there are re-saw accessories with both of them... (If you intend to resaw...)

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Fine, but what if you need wider than the table?

Echd

C
User

That is seriously expensive for a piece of aluminum extrusion and a couple of magnets...

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is seriously expensive for a piece of aluminum extrusion and a couple of magnets...
Funny,
I was thinking it was pretty cheap (people who know me know) also thinking that the magswitch magnets could be used for something else when not on the saw?!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS