Advice Request (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakyr

New User
Johnathon
I've only been on the site for a short time, but I've already come to realize how much knowledge, skill, and experience the veterans of this site have to offer to newbie woodworkers like myself. One thing I haven't been able to find is a good post of advice for beginners. There is a lot of advice INSIDE other posts, but I've had to do a lot of digging at times. Would it be okay to create a post for everyone to chip in some advice for newbies?

For example: "Save your money and get a decent #4 hand plane instead of that crap from the big box stores/harbor freight."

Or, "Make sure to get a quality square. You'll find out real quick that if you aren't getting your boards cut or glued square every joint will become exponentially more out of whack"

Things like that.

If there's already a post, I would love a link!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Looks like you just started it. Not sure how much good advise you’ll get this way, but it could be interesting.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Always come to NCWW to get good answers to all of your woodworking questions.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Advice Tip #1:

There are no dumb questions. So feel free to start a thread asking most any woodworking related question about any topic you wish to learn more about. There is a tremendous wealth of knowledge held collectively amongst our members, so please feel free to take advantage of that resource as it is this site's entire reason for existing!

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I started out small - I started buying layout tools first. Tape measures (10-12 foot and 25 foot), steel rulers (6", 12", 24"), compass, dividers; you will always need layout tools whether you are building furniture or just turning - layout tools can be used on all projects.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Johnathon,
Here is one to add to the list: "Buy the best tool you can at the time"
This does not mean the most expensive (in all cases) but a "proven" good tool for the job.

(the example is your #4 hand plane)

Now we have to be sensitive to hand tool woodworking versus machine tool woodworking versus a hybrid approach.

To me the #1 tool is a workbench - but we are going to assume this "newbie" is just starting out and will likely build his or her workbench so I think you have to purchase some tools...

For hand tool woodworking I think this is a GREAT start;
https://woodandshop.com/which-hand-tools-do-you-need-for-traditional-woodworking/

Here is a great thread on machine tool order of purchase with some hand tool advice thrown in.
https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63727&page=2&highlight=tool+purchase

BUT as you point out - you have to kind of wander through it and pull out the advice you want or need or are "ready" to take!

I REALLY like this advice from Marc;
https://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/common-questions-only-you-can-answer/

Especially: "In all likelihood, most of these are questions that you just aren’t prepared to answer yet. You simply don’t have enough experience under your belt. So what’s a new woodworker to do? I recommend you start by taking classes. There is no substitute for hands-on learning. Classes will increase your skill set while also introducing you to basic woodworking tools and their function."

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
You have just started an avalanche.
Rule number one, always have fun.
rule number two, always buy the best tool you can afford, learn gown to feed and care for it and it will take you far.
rule number three, don't be afraid to fail. Failure is a great teacher. Take that as truth and from someone who is a world class face planter.
rule number four, opps I've gotta go swmbo just cracked the wip.
im sure others can fill in more rules, but if all else fails return to rule number one.

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Rule number .05 - Always be safe.
Cutters of any kind are non-discerning and do not care whether they cut into wood or flesh.

You have just started an avalanche.
Rule number one, always have fun.
rule number two, always buy the best tool you can afford, learn gown to feed and care for it and it will take you far.
rule number three, don't be afraid to fail. Failure is a great teacher. Take that as truth and from someone who is a world class face planter.
rule number four, opps I've gotta go swmbo just cracked the wip.
im sure others can fill in more rules, but if all else fails return to rule number one.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
don't rush the project. It will lead to mistakes and additional work to repair the mistakes.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I dont' know of any forum post that would be a comprehensive source for this type info. That being said, you will learn a lot from Lumberjocks and Sawmillcreek.

There are many sources of basic info on ww'ing and I suggest you start with a couple books and spend some time watching some videos..

Fine Woodworking has a fairly extensive library of basic ww'ing techniques and tool info on their website. Worth the membership fee IMO.

I've learned tons about tools, techniques and design watching project videos. Again, FWW has a library of project builds plus there are many, many sites on such as Paul Sellers, Wood Whisperer, etc.

Kings Fine Woodworking has a free beginners series on YouTube that you should check out.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Johnathon
Good advice so far, but the answers you seek are very dependent on your interests. These could be as varied as:
- wanting to replace your kitchen cabinetry, or wanting to make storage shelves for a laundry room,
- wanting to make reproduction furniture or wanting to refinish a dresser for a child's room,
- wanting to turn a 20" serving platter or pen turning,
- learning intarsia (picture making with veneers) or picture framing,
- carving wood decoys or carving furniture, etc etc.

There is no one 'goal' or one path to that goal, and certainly not one way to do things. Just reading the quotes or sayings the 5 or so people earlier in this thread use in their signature line (bottom line of their post) gives you an indication of their different approaches.

The advice I have heard that best summarizes my answer is to pick a project you want to finish, then acquire the skills and only the tools you need to finish that project, and proceed. When a project is completed, then you get to assess what went well, and where you might need to improve, and how eager you are to make another project. It seems foolish from a budget perspective to create a list of tools you think you want, then acquire those tools, then decide to make something (again, unless you have money to burn). Acquire tools as you need them. For example, I do not own a jointer - but many here consider that tool as a fundamental tool in their arsenal; and yet I can still make furniture.

To that I would add start simple (and inexpensive, unless you have money to burn) in terms of both projects and tools; doing so will teach you (by the trials of error) about stock preparation (square and parallel), about joinery (butt joints, fasteners, mortise and tenon, dovetail, etc), about surface preparation (sanding, planing, scraping), about finishes (stains, dyes, oil or film forming finishes etc). See even my example list there shows my interests in that I wrote it like you were building a piece of furniture and not carving a wood decoy; square, parallel, and joinery don't in (much) to decoy carving, at least as far as I know.

You don't need a 220V 5 HP table saw to make a bird house, but to accomplish a kitchen cabinet renovation most of us would advise that you need more than a jig saw and some C-clamps. Some of us have a 5'x8' space we call a shop, other consider a 30' x 60' building a minimum for a shop. Our approaches and project choices can be limited (dictated?) by our shop space (i.e a 5x8' shop not conducive to making kitchen cabinetry, but make work great for making musical flutes).

There is no one answer - and that is why I (we?) enjoy reading here about how other people do things - design decisions, stock selection, joinery choices, scale and proportion, surface prep methods, tooling choices and options, finishing materials and methods - there is no one way. I have asked a lot of questions here, and received excellent ideas and advice. I have learned much here at NCWW over the years, incorporating some ideas and methods I have read about here and learned in NCWW workshops, and in other aspects I still do things the same way I have always been doing them. I just may not know any better.

So ask us about a project you may want to accomplish, and what tools you might need to accomplish that, and you will get great advice and likely be amazed by how many approaches there are. Know that not all the things you read on the internet are true. I had read a list published by a well known woodworking magazine - something like 26 essential tools for any woodworker - and been amazed by how many of those I don't have.

Hope that helps

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
For marking tools, I would suggest the following: Good accurate steel rules (get several sizes all the way to 24 or 36", make sure you get 6" too), Good accurate squares ( I have a large 18" combo and a small 3". It is really important that you get good ones that give true angles), Get a marking gage (I have two a round cutter end and a scratch type, both have their uses), compass (I have a hand-me-down), Dial or Digital Caliper (I don't use it every day, but it's hard to do without when you are trying to get very accurate with a thickness or measuring a gap), a good straight edge (nothing sucks more then when you cut your line right and you still have a bow or crook in your cut, this is one of those things that can be re-purposed from something else, I have a unused piece of T-track for up to 36" and a piece of straight grained maple about 5ft) and a good tape measure (you end up buying more than one, you only need one REALLY accurate one and it can be 12ft or so, the others I use to rough cut down long pieces before processing or normal handyman work).

Now here's, the key don't buy everything at once. Buy things like the basics first, one square, one marking gage, one ruler and a tape measure. Buy the other stuff after you get used to the first things. You have to be able to use those well, or you will get caught up in the noise of having too many tools for one task. As you go along, you'll see where you need to add. No one uses the same exact tool set, they add to compliment the method they use.

From here, it really depends on what you want to do. Turning? Flat work? Intarsia? Big furniture? Small stuff like boxes and such? Cutting boards? Each thing has a different set of tools and skills. Some have more in common that others. And you have to ask yourself, how much time and effort do you want to put in? How much hand work do you want to do? What's you end goal (at this point)? Then you can start working in the right direction.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
You might want to check this out Johnathon, an online beginners course in woodworking, www.startwoodworking.com,
or for simple beginners woodworking projects try, www.instructables.com. Here's another online instruction from Woodwork Nation, www.woodworknation.com. There are some very good books for teaching woodworking basics also that you will find at Klingspors or some bookstores also. Anyway any of us can help, just ask and as you can already see from the responses, you will find many NCWW'ers are happy to help. Good luck and happy sawdusting!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I dont' know of any forum post that would be a comprehensive source for this type info. That being said, you will learn a lot from Lumberjocks and Sawmillcreek.
Buried in there is a GREAT piece of advice.

I found NCWW because I was on Sawmill Creek and Lunberjocks and didn't feel "a part of the group" I felt like my questions were considered dumb and was being placated when they were answered!

I found NCWW and NEVER turned back!

Long story short - this is PERSONAL - everyone learns differently and certain sources "speak to you"

I am an AVID Paul Sellers fan, note that I didn't mention him in my other post - the base question that EVERYONE keeps saying is figure out what you want to do. I like HenryW's segestion - pick a project, then another, then another...

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
And if you need to ask "what can I make" as I did not long ago, then you are not ready to make anything. But then a few days later some thing will SCREAM "make me", then you are ready to start.

Every project is a new adventure to me, a new procedure, a new tool, a new finish, a new material, a new size, a new SOMETHING!!!!!

I hate doing the same thing over and over, working in a factory that only made one thing would drive me insane. I have to be designing, thinking, developing, learning new things all the time.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
And if you need to ask "what can I make" as I did not long ago, then you are not ready to make anything. But then a few days later some thing will SCREAM "make me", then you are ready to start.

Every project is a new adventure to me, a new procedure, a new tool, a new finish, a new material, a new size, a new SOMETHING!!!!!

I hate doing the same thing over and over, working in a factory that only made one thing would drive me insane. I have to be designing, thinking, developing, learning new things all the time.

I too almost always incorporate some new aspect to any project I choose - which means I work slowly, and make mistakes, but I LEARN!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I looked at your previous posts so you're not entirely a woodworking "newbie" but you're new to NCWW and welcome. You can start a new thread with a specific question about any topic that you want learn about and you'll get feedback about that specific topic. It's better than a broad NCWW "Everything you want to know about woodworking A-Z".

1. Building a workbench.

https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64472

2. First cutting board and spoons.

https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64587

3. My wood.

The only wood I have currently is a piece of walnut, a piece of white oak, and some small pieces of purple heart. That's why everything I'm making right now is out of the same stuff. Cramming as many small projects as I can into three boards!

And yes, there are no dumb questions or apologies needed so ask away! :help:

Last edited:

Rick M

New User
Rick
I think the best piece of advice is buy a good comprehensive book on woodworking, written by one acknowledged woodworker, and follow the advice. Woodworking is part technique, part engineering, and part art. Any one style works if you learn it but people get into trouble by mixing and matching. Like sharpening, pick one way and master it before you try other ways.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Rule number six, keep an eye out for workshops, depending on what your interested in there are some good learning opportunities available here. Check out Classes, Training, and Workshop Education threads. There you can participate in and meet other woodworkers of various skill levels. It's always great fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors