Advice/Opinions Wanted - Rikon J/P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
OK, after mostly lurking here, you guys have inspired me to take a second (maybe it's the third) try at getting started in woodworking. I have a bunch of stuff, and a shop of sorts, but a few of my tools actually get in the way of me doing woodworking, both literally and figuratively.

I don't have much room, so portability and maneuverabiliy are important. I have an old Jet 6" jointer that I made a mobile base for. It takes up almost no room at all and is easy to pull out and use. I bought an ancient Sears/Belsaw planer that is mounted on wheels, but it takes up a good bit of space whether in use or not. The infeed roller also leaves marks on the wood which requires a lot of sanding to get out. It's a beast, but not suited to my purposes. I thought about getting a small box planer to make that last thin cut, but that's just another dang thing clogging up the garage.

I've been looking for an Inca 570 for some time now, but I've finally decided people want too much for them and parts seem like they are increasingly difficult to find. Money is an object with me.

I'm considering a small jointer/planer combo like the Rikon 25-010 with the optional mobile base. It looks like an Inca knock-off. It's basically the same machine sold in Europe under a variety of brand names like Record Power and Elecktra Beckum. Metabo bought out Elektra Beckum and the j/p is now being sold under their brand in Europe. As far as I know, Metabo has a good reputation and these machines are well-regarded over there. I wonder if Rikon builds it under license from them. There are some slight differences such as switch location and the Rikon has three knives instead of two.

The length of the bed doesn't deter me. It's only 1" shorter than my Jet which has been adequate for my needs. I've mostly made shelves and cabinets.

I've only seen pictures, but it appears nicely made with a lot of aluminum castings instead of stamped steel. Here are some close-ups of the Metabo machine.

http://www.metabo.co.uk/fileadmin/m...Product_reviews_2009/200907_HC 260 Review.pdf

http://www.metabo.co.uk/fileadmin/metabo/_countries/uk/en/media/pdf/Promotions/PlanerThicknesser.pdf

http://www.amazon.com/Rikon-25-010-...ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1289753894&sr=1-1

I figure I could get about a hundred each for the Belsaw and Jet and the Rikon with base is about $950 delivered. That gets me down to $750 which is already a bit more than I had planned on spending.

Thoughts? Ideas? Alternatives? :eusa_thin

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I don't get significant marks from my planer infeed roller. But, a standard planer will leave scallops.

Have you thought about picking up a hand plane to remove the roller marks and smooth the stock? Sandpaper will do the trick but a sharp plane will make short work of shallow surface imperfections.

Chuck

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Martin, I don't have any information for you on the J/P, but here's something you might not be aware of: There is a very active group of woodworkers in the Hillsborough area you might want to get to know. Here's a link to their Meet-Up site. Hillsborough Orange Woodworkers. If you're just getting back into woodworking, it might be nice to have some others around to visit with.

Bill

eyekode

New User
Salem
I have not seen these J/P's but they do (at least superficially) look like Inca clones. I have a 15" off brand planer similar to a DC-380. It leaves some marks but nothing a plane or scraper won't remove in a few swipes. The only time they are even remotely deep is when taking a very light cut. I agree the lunchbox planers leave a better finish but they are fiendishly loud and you have to be so careful with the amount of wood you are removing.

Note that on most of the big planers you can adjust the spring tension on the infeed and outfeed. This can reduce the amount of damage the rollers do to the wood. You may want to see if you can adjust yours.

I am interested in a J/P too due to limited space in the garage. But I am going to hold out for one with a helical head. No tear out on wild grain would be great!
Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors