Advice on these pieces of equipment

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
There are 3 pieces of equipment coming up for auction and the planer kinda piqued my interest. But there are 2 others that are interesting

1. Is the Oliver 15" planer- Are these worth it since it is older and they are a 3 knife unit

2. Is the Powermatic III model 26 Shaper- What is a good price to buy this for

3. Is the 16" jointer ........ Wow ! that thing would scare me to use

Thanks !

Attachments

• 77777.PNG
    77777.PNG
    5.5 MB · Views: 253
  • 8888.PNG
    8888.PNG
    3.4 MB · Views: 267
  • 5555.PNG
    5555.PNG
    6.5 MB · Views: 294

Mfinn

New User
Matt
What is the voltage? 110 or 220? Now what do you have in your shop? Then make your decision. I would be partial to the thickness planer. The 16"jointer would scare also.

Reactions: Oka

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Have you checked out OWWM? Rules prohibit valuations, but folks often post what they’ve paid. From what I’ve gathered auctions can let mold machines go for a song (especially if they’re 3 phas)—but I imagine HI prices may be higher due to supply.

And that 16” jointer is small potatoes to what is shown on OWWM!

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
The planer with its 3 phase motor is worth about $700 id guess, the shaper, if its single phase about $600 in its current state or $400 if 3 phase. And the jointer worth its weight in scrap metal.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The planer is a little Oliver 399. Very compact 18" planer that can be a really nice machine for a small shop. It seems to be about 1/2 the footprint of my Powermatic 18" planer. Knives are easy to get at to set. Its simple and brutally heavy for its size. Knives are 1/8 x 1 x 18-1/4".
Chris has a good handle on the prices. The shaper has a 1" shaft or at least it looks like a 1" shaft. It might be larger. It is a USA-made machine and that's a BIG plus. I have one and really like it for my smaller shop.
The big jointer may or may not be a good buy. If you work a lot of solid lumber and are tired of the limits of an 8" jointer, this may be worth looking at before bidding. Something USA-made like that new these days will top $10K.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
I sure do like that jointer but like Chris said I probably would only pay its scrap price of ~$700... the cost is going to be in hiring the riggers to move it for you. If you have the means to move a 2000 lb. piece of equipment and the need for it, I would get on it.

Is it a Yates American? Notice that it is missing is knob on the LHS for the cam adjustment of the outfeed table. You'd have a hard time manually shimming that table haha.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The name on the jointer base casting seems to be PORTER under that orange stenciling, but it doesn't look like any Porter jointer I've ever seen.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I am guessing if I get lucky no one will go for it and I can get for under 500 bucks.

Have you checked out OWWM? Rules prohibit valuations, but folks often post what they’ve paid. From what I’ve gathered auctions can let mold machines go for a song (especially if they’re 3 phase)—but I imagine HI prices may be higher due to supply.

And that 16” jointer is small potatoes to what is shown on OWWM!

I have both 3 phase and 220 so no issue

As far as valuation, don't really care, I am thinking if I get the shaper for under 500 it would be a good buy.

Not convinced on the Oliver as it really is a beast to move around, but it looks like an awesome unit.

The planer ......... yeah I am not owning a 16" wide planer I am too old to be playing with something like that.

What is the voltage? 110 or 220? Now what do you have in your shop? Then make your decision. I would be partial to the thickness planer. The 16"jointer would scare also.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
The voltage on those machines could be 440 since they are more than likely 3 phase. Also, does the shaper come with any tooling? That would influence the price it will bring.

Roy G

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I don't know, but doesn't' matter. Most 208/440 motor are either or voltage and if it was not I have 2 - 208 3ph motors in the garage just lying around waiting for a cause. I do not believe it has any tooling, that would be nice

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Looking at the proportions of that shaper spindle, I'd be inclined to think its a 1-1/4" spindle.
The 3/4-1/2 interchangeable spindle cartridge and the 1" solid spindle cartridges can often be found. There were two types of belts used on those shapers. One is a narrow 7M series and the other is a wider 3V series. There were two styles of fences used. That fence is the original design. Later Powermatic modified the design. Manuals are easy enough to get.
Keep us posted on how the bidding went.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Well Final Update,

Planer and Jointer went for Stupid High Prices

Could have got the shaper for about 380.00 which was ok. But, then I started thinking, considering I do not have room for it and I do like being married, I passed. As soon as I move, I will have plenty of room. Then I ll start looking again.........

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
There's no question that to get the capabilities of a shaper like that, there is a commitment of space and resources. I'm sort of surprised it went for so cheap but maybe there was a reason.
If the shaper had a 1-1/4" shaft, that could have been the deal killer. The build and heft of that shaper makes is an excellent 3/4" shaft shaper and a pretty good 1" shaft shaper, but the 1-1/4" cartridges are a little light for so much of the 1-1/4" tooling available.

The jointer and planer are in the production category and likely were bought by commercial users. Equipment of that quality level isn't easily available these days unless one chooses to buy a new Northfield brand machine.

Thanks for the update.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS