Adult Assistance: Pipe Clamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
So I am going to need some pipe clamps for my next project. Stopped by the local hardware store and found 3/4" Pony clamps for $12.99. I got the one on the shelf, and had them order me 4 more.
Also had them order me three 10' sections of 3/4" black iron pipe, threaded on both ends ($13 each).
Five 5' pipe clamps should be enough for my purpose, with a leftover section to beat everything into place. :widea:

Well, I get home, open the Pony clamp, and out falls a gizmo with about a 3/4" outside diameter, and has 4 loops of wire. This is not the clutch for the clamp, so where does ti go and what is it's function? Of course, the writing on the packaging give me clue as to what it is. :dontknow:

So what is this mystery loose part in the packaging?

cptully

New User
Chris
Can you post pictures? I have several Pony and Rockler pipe clamps but cannot picture what you are describing.

Dust Storm

New User
Jim
I believe you are describing the wire stop that threads onto the end of the pipe in order to protect the thread on the exposed end. The other end's thread is covered by the stationary half of the clamp, itself.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Wow, that was fast! :swoon:

No, it is not the clutch, Mark. The wire is thicker than the clutch wire.

Thanks, Mike, but this weekend I hope I get the wood, which I got from Rick Dinardo, jointed and planed. That is why I must whimp out on helping you with the big move.

I do believe Jim has it! That sounds like the most likely use for the odd part. Maybe I would have figured that out once I get the pipe and try to assemble the works.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Keep your eye on the markdown carts by the lighting section of Lowe's for Ceiling Fan Down Rods. They are 3/4", Stainless Steel or Brass finished and threaded. I've found the 4ft sections for ~$3.00 and the shorter sections for $1.00. Much nicer and lighter than black pipe.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Tom, not to burst your bubble, but to make a five foot (clamping capacity) pipe clamp, you will need a piece of pipe about 67" long. You have to allow for the heads. You can fasten sections together to make longer clamps. Instead of pipe couplings, use rigid conduit couplings. Much nicer looking, and the threads aren't tapered like pipe couplings. This makes it easier to screw sections together. Instead of retainer spring, I keep a concuit coupling on my clamps. It protects the exposed threads and I don't have to search to find one when I need to join two sections together.

jhreed

New User
james
Tom, what you are looking at are reducing bushings. Screw them into your pipe clamps to convert them to 1/2" pipe clamps which are much lighter than 3/4" pipe clamps and the 1/2" pipe is also cheaper. Once you screw these bushings into your clamps they are a bugger to get back out so make sure your want 1/2" clamps before you do it. Otherwise, just throw them in the trash.
James

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
:cool: No bubble burst, Bruce. I was referring to using 5' sections for my clamps. The 52-53" assembled clamps will be larger than I need for my project, and easily accommodate a 48" panel is later uses.

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
The wire is to keep the clamp heads from falling off the end of the pipe when you are adjusting the heads. Very useful! Expecially when you slide a head off by accident in the middle of a glue up. I have a variety of lengths of pipe clamps plus a set of 2 foot long pipes with pipe connectors. This allows me to add 2 feet onto any clamp if I need it. Get several (3 minimum for a good glue up). I would not go with 1/2" pipe. This will flex too much if you are gluing up large panels. You can never have too many clamps. Clamps are a fundamental tool in a woodshop, so just bite the bullet and get what you need. You won't be sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS