Adjustable Height Casters

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooraysimpsons

New User
Paul
I am looking for some casters, where he height can be adjusted via the stem from above the caster.

To explain a bit further: I am making a movable island for the kitchen and I want to install the casters to the underside of the island within the toe kick box. I want to install them such that their stem extends into the cabinet space and can be used to adjust the height of the caster. This way when the island is stationary the casters can be 'retracted' such that the cabinet rests on the floor as it normally would and when it needs to be moved the casters are extended such that the island can be rolled around.

I did find this thread: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f19/adjustable-height-casters-18367/
but it does not have the solution I am looking for. At least not as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

hooraysimpsons

New User
Paul
Update on my progress: I think I am just going to put parts together to replicate what I am looking for as best I can.

As of now I plan on the following:
Using a threaded stem caster, inserted into a 'T' nut which is mounted to the bottom of the island, attaching a screw on handle to the top of the caster stem.

To do:
Find a caster with a long enough stem to reach through the material, provide some length for height adjustment, and provide some length to screw a handle on the end.
Order T nuts to match thread diameter that utilize the screw holes for adherence instead of prongs (eg http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=137342-37672-880539&lpage=none). Hopefully I can also find some with a larger base for more weight distribution.
Find a handle that matches stem thread diameter. (The ideal would be to weld or use some other method of attaching a handle but this should work)

Problems: On the stem casters I have seen so far the stem length is usually 1.5 inches. This would work if the caster itself was the height reaching up to the bottom of the cabinet but they aren't. Finding larger based T nuts. Haven't started looking yet but don't really know where to find specific handles besides what happens to be in stock at local store.

EDIT: I think I have found casters I can use here http://www.castercity.com/cm3-stem.htm. They have some with a 2 3/4" stem.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I can't believe this thread never got a response ... I guess none of us could figure out the right answer. I was originally reading it and thinking that the Zambus would be best, but you had already thought of that. I hope it works out! Like to see pics when done!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Hrm... what about a system where the wheels are lowered down on a hinge instead? Like Norm's assembly table: http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct.php?0207
Right, that could work. I wonder if it's feasible to use a step pedal like this one:

31M%2ByKoh5ZL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

This pedal would be behind the toekick. But, via an ingenious contraption left as an exercise to the reader, the pedal can swing 180 degrees and now sticks out in front of the cabinet. Press down to lift up. How to rotate the pedal? I'm thinking a metal place, bolt and wingnut. Not sure this is better than the idea of screwing the casters down, but it's a thought.

hooraysimpsons

New User
Paul
Regarding the Zambus: I couldn't find any of their products where the mechanism to raise and lower the leveling foot could accessed from within the cabinet. I currently have part of the toe kick panel removable so that I can access regular locking casters tat are being used temporarily; however, I'm not a fan of this method.

Regarding the other idea to raise and lower the wheels: I have thought about this method some (after the Lowes guy had a eureka moment while playing with the similar mechanism on their ladders during a discussion with me on how to solve this problem) but I can't seem to figure out how to make it work exactly. One option is to have the pedal always sticking out but still mostly covered by the toe kick overhang. Aesthetically not crazy about this. Another is if I could somehow make a 'pedal' that extends up into the cabinet space. This would work for me and actually be better than having four handles extending into the cabinet space. However, I'm not sure if it can be done or if enough force can be generated to depress the pedal without putting too much pressure on the area of the cabinet where it is located. Any thoughts on this part?

Thanks for all the ideas... I can google all day long for what I think will work but better ideas are much more useful.

Reason for height adjustable caster over leveling caster: The reason I started looking for height adjustable casters (instead of leveling casters which I started looking at) dealt with the aesthetics of where the bottom of the cabinet meets the floor. With leveling casters there will be a small gap while using the casters to allow movement and the gap will actually be increased when the leveling feet are lowered to raise the cabinet off the wheels. On the other hand, with height adjustable casters, the will be a gap when the wheels are in use but when not in use the cabinet will be resting on it's 'natural' base flush with the floor.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I'm amazed that Alan in Washington hasn't already designed something hydraulic or air operated!
:rotflm:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have seen height adjusters that can be adjusted from inside a cabinet, but not casters. The height adjusters in most instances have an allen screw head and are available from Rockler and Woodcraft. I used this style of adjuster on my workbench.

M

McRabbet

I use adjustable levelers on all of the base cabinets I make. I purchase them from Custom Service Hardware (www.cshardware.com). Click on Furniture Hardware and scroll down the selections to Levelers, Legs and Glides. The first three selections are their adjustable levelers with stems to 2-3/4" long. I usually mount 4 under the kick base of my base cabinets with an access hole inside the cabinet to get to the stem (these have a flat screwdriver slot) -- they work very well, are very strong and the bottom pad is slippery plastic material and is self-leveling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS