Adirondack Pair ... Done & Delivered!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Well. I spent last weekend putting together yet another pair of Adirondack chairs; this time for my daughter and son-in-laws first anniversary. They also just moved into a new home and needed some additional deck seating. They are similar to my attempts last year, but decided to add some "curves" on this pair. Built them entirely out of SYP Ya I know....dad is cheap. But after all I am retired!:lol:

Here is a shot of them prior to me getting into the sanding and finishing.

Now here is my question!

I have been now asked if I could possibly build a matching love seat. (This time from the friend that gave us the beach house for a pair of Adirondacks about this time last year.)

I was thinking that I could get away with just doubling the overall width of the "single chair". This would make the seat width approx. 50". So. The question is if I use the same material (4/4 SYP), should I add a brace between the front and rear seat supports. See my "rendition" of the proposed brace in this picture. (This is just a shot of the bottom substrate of these chairs.)

Do you think that that the additional brace would be required on a 50" seat span?

I sure wouldn't like to see the seat sag if two adults were sitting nice and cozy on the seat.:crybaby2:

Sure would appreciate any perspectives on the bracing requirement. (I thought about adding two center legs, but most Adirondack love seats that I have seen on the web exclude them.)

Thanks a lot in advance for the incite.

Wayne

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Re: Adirondack Pair

Wayne: Nice pair of chairs. Is there a photo in your album? As for the Love Seat, we build some 5' porch swings, and yes, we put additional center supports in them. Two in a 5' swing and one in a 4' swing. In a 5' span, we place the 17 1/2" on center for the center two. We built a "Double Rocker" and put one center support in it. It was about 50" end to end. Hope this helps.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Re: Adirondack Pair..Done & Delivered!

Wayne: Nice pair of chairs. Is there a photo in your album? As for the Love Seat, we build some 5' porch swings, and yes, we put additional center supports in them. Two in a 5' swing and one in a 4' swing. In a 5' span, we place the 17 1/2" on center for the center two. We built a "Double Rocker" and put one center support in it. It was about 50" end to end. Hope this helps.

Thanks Reggie for your input. Sounds like a brace placed about midway in the span may be all that I will need to add rigidity to the seat. (There are a couple of pics of these chairs in my photo gallery.)

I appreciate your feedback!

Regards,

Wayne

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Re: Adirondack Pair

Adirondacks were completed and delivered today. They are now happy at their new resting place!....

DSC00218.JPG

Daughter's Happy so.... Dad is very Happy.

Thanks for lookin'!

Wayne

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Wayne,
Great looking chairs, where did you get the plans? My wife has been looking at them in other places and ask if I could build some; she like yours very much, we were wondering if they were from a set of drawings or your own. Jim

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Wayne,
Great looking chairs, where did you get the plans? My wife has been looking at them in other places and ask if I could build some; she like yours very much, we were wondering if they were from a set of drawings or your own. Jim

Thanks, Jim!

PM sent.....

Wayne

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
After I completed the chairs I had my daughter take a picture of the completed "set". The chairs, table and added footstools all complete on their deck!

Farm_Progress_Show_017.jpg

Now they can kick back for a "cool one" after a hard days work!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

..............and wait for Dad to complete another "project"!!!!

Thanks for Lookin'

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wayne, the chairs and all look right at home out on the deck :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Now all they need are some trees in the yard 8-O

Dave:)

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
(This time from the friend that gave us the beach house for a pair of Adirondacks about this time last year.)
Wayne

While those are certainly nice looking chairs, I would love to see the ones that persuaded your friend to trade a beach house for a pair of chairs. Does he have any other real estate and need some other kind of chair? :rolf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS