Adirondack chairs ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have been requested by the LOML to make some child sized Adirondack chairs for her girlfriend's kids. I have searched for plans but had no luck on the child sized chairs. I know the basic construction methods, and general dimensions for a child's chair. My big question is what is the angle of the seat to the back. I am sure it is a few degrees past 90°, but other than trial and error, with a 2 year old to test the fit :roll: I am lost.
Any of y'all who have made Adirondack chairs in the past please let me know what is your angle of recline.
Thanks for the help:-D
Dave:)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
When I made Adirondack chairs with my father as a young boy (living in the Adirondack Park, too!) I don't recall any particular worry about seat-back angle to seat. I seem to recall Norm's chairs having a ten degree incline?

Sure, that doesn't help much, but it was fun to remenisce about doing things with my dad.

consider a donation here, the life you save may be your own, or your son's.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
DaveO,

When I made mine, the back was 90 degrees to the seat. The seat of course was angled toward the back. (see pics in my gallery)

I will check the actual angle (considering a horizontal seat) tomorrow - kinda dark outside to take a measurement. :lol:

Wayne

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Dave. I have made Jake's Chairs before, it's an Adirondack type chair. I'm sure you can downsize it. Free plan. It may at least get you started.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Dave,

I haven't made one of the chairs, but I do have one of Norm's books and It has the chair in it. You're welcome to come take a look if you're in the neighborhood. If not, I know that the library carries several of Norm's books.

Ray

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Here's a side view of the one I built:

Attachments

• A_Chair.pdf
    20 KB · Views: 183

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I will check the actual angle (considering a horizontal seat) tomorrow - kinda dark outside to take a measurement. :lol:

Wayne

Dave,

I checked my chairs and the back is set at about 32 degrees. (As I said though, the seat slants towards the back so the angle looks a little exagerated.)

The plans recommended in the previous posts look good to me, as the design is more for a child. I would try one of those designs.

Thanks,

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well. from what I have seen, and the few plans that I looked at, the seat to back angle is just 90°, but the seat is angled back to give a nice recline. Thanks to all who provided that info. I plan to wing it off of basic dimensions and a good prototype. I figure that if I get a nice chair built, the prototype will be the pattern to make as many more as needed. I am wishing I could start this weekend, but I am going to Wilmington to visit the in-laws and hopefully visiting KMI with a scrap wood donation. If any of y'all Wilmington folks aren't doing anything Saturday afternoon, it would be cool to hook up downtown and shoot the poop for a while.
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS