Adirondack Chairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Had a request to make a few adirondack chairs. This is a design that has evolved somewhat over the years, but they seem to be well liked. The seats are a full 24" wide, allowing for some wiggle room. Let me know what you think!

IMG_0167.JPG

IMG_0169.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I like them a lot! What kinda wood did you use? The only thing that I might do differently would be to squeeze in one extra slat on the back, reducing the space between them.
Way to crank them chairs out, making one is a bunch of work, but 4, you must have some shop elves too :-D:-D.
Dave:)

nelsone

New User
Ed
Thanks Dave! No, no elves here! The wood is borg cedar. I was really wanting to do these with ERC, but there was none available. I agree the backs need something. The 5 slat design is nice and symetric, so I may go to wider boards, but these are standard width. 6 slats will work if I start to go with a curved back, but that is somewhere in the future!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
The seats are a full 24" wide, allowing for some wiggle room. Let me know what you think!

Wiggle, Wiggle Wompf.
Wiggle, Wiggle Wompf.
Wiggle, Wiggle Wompf.

Those are really cool chairs, Ed!!!! I have only built two of those bad boys at a time and even then I felt "OVERWELMED"!

I sure like working with that cedar, tho!!!!

What king of a finish did you use?

Great Work!

Wayne

nelsone

New User
Ed
Templates guys! Gotta keep the templates! Makes the project a lot easier!
The finish is Minwax for outdoor projects. There is a product called Cetol that I would have liked to try, but I needed to get these done!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Great looking chairs! I found a template set on Woodcraft under "Finishes" and General Finishes and ordered them. Really like the back slat configuration. Take a look at the template, I think you'll like it if you plan to build more.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Great looking chairs! I found a template set on Woodcraft under "Finishes" and General Finishes and ordered them. Really like the back slat configuration. Take a look at the template, I think you'll like it if you plan to build more.

Thanks for the info, but I made my own templates several years back. One of the guys I made some chairs for wants me to try and convert them to rockers! That ought to be interesting!:eusa_thin

sapwood

New User
Roger
Well, now that you asked Ed . . . they look inviting :drunken_s
And I don't see any exposed screws :eusa_clap

Roger

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ed, Nice chairs. Look almost too pretty to use. Here is my version of an Adirondack Chair. The chair is two pieces.

Attachments

• Scott's chair.jpg
    Scott's chair.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 180
  • Scott's Chair 2.jpg
    Scott's Chair 2.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 171

Travis

New User
Travis
I plan to build some with oak coming out of Kyles kiln. (is that a literation (how would I know, I'm an engineer)). Going to use plans from Fine Woodworking but do not like the idea of using hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors