Adirondack Chairs in Place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I have finally got my Adirondack chairs in place with a protective finish on them. The finish gave the cypress wood a nice look, eventhough they will weather with time. A neighbor came by on his boat and complimented me on the chairs and said twice that he wanted me to build him a set. I said you might want to know what I will charge before you place an order. After my quote he said he would have to show them to his wife to see if she liked them. Didn't hear from him again. I have plenty of things to do for myself to keep me busy without working for free for others.

Attachments

• A-chairs.jpg
    A-chairs.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 312

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Way to go! The chairs look great and comfortable, and I LOVE what you said to your neighbor. Lots of people think lumber and hardware is either free or cheap. Besides, they don't want to pay for the expertise to build them. I'd like to see them get a mechanic, plumber, or electrician to work for what they think we should work for.
Jim in Mayberry

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I really like the way you incorporated the small table/umbrella support between the chairs. I don't remember seeing that when you first showed the chairs :eusa_thin The setting looks like a wonderful place to relax in some well built chairs :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dave:)

hannah01

New User
Joe
Nice! But, you forgot the cooler full of beer...:drunken_s

Did you use a particular plan? A nice set of chairs/table like that are on my long-term wish list.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Good looking set of chairs. I too like the table that goes between them. Cold beer and a good book and all will be set. By the way, don't be supprised if the neighbor comes back. Might want to have a price in mind. I would have a difficult time parting with the pair.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
hannah01 said:
Nice! But, you forgot the cooler full of beer...:drunken_s

Did you use a particular plan? A nice set of chairs/table like that are on my long-term wish list.

Joe,

I used a plan from Lee Valley/Veritas. Link -->> "Adirondack Plus" Chair & Footstool Plan

The chairs are a little more involved than some I have seen but I think the extra work was worth it. By the way it took 26BF of wood to build each chair. They are sturdy and set really comfortable. The seat and back contour fits the body nice. No I didn't forget the cooler of beer. I have never acquired a taste for beer but the wide arms hold a glass of wine really nice when we set on the dock late in the afternoon. :drunken_s

DaveO, the umbrella stand/table was not part of the plan. I added that feature to hold the umbrella over the chairs. The sun gets really hot on the dock during the day. A neighbor has a similar setup and I got the idea from his.

Last edited by a moderator:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Dolan,

My very simplistic Adirondacks pale by comparison to yours. Yours are awesome!!!!:eusa_danc :eusa_danc

Someday, I too will have my very own bandsaw and your work is my inspiration! Thanks so very, very much for sharing the photo's!:eusa_clap

That spot on the dock must be a real joy to sip wine and enjoy life!

Great job!

Wayne

sapwood

New User
Roger
Well done Dolan! I love the natural look of the finish. :eusa_clap
Did you use Penofin?

And though it's a wee bit warm now, you will really enjoy that spot this fall :mrgreen:

Roger

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Canuck said:
Dolan,

My very simplistic Adirondacks pale by comparison to yours.

Wayne

Having grown up in the Adirondack's, I have never seen a set of chairs quite so nice. The basic design is supposed to be dirt-simple, the many embellishments of newer takes on the Adirondack theme don't take away from them, tho, JMHBAO. Nice chairs!:eusa_danc

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
sapwood said:
Well done Dolan! I love the natural look of the finish. :eusa_clap
Did you use Penofin?

And though it's a wee bit warm now, you will really enjoy that spot this fall :mrgreen:

Roger

Roger,

I used the recipe that Jimmy (KMI) suggested. 1/3 BLO, 1/3 Spar Urethane, 1/3 Mineral spirits. Flows on real nice. Wait about 20 minutes, wipe it down, Wait about 2 hours and repeat for the 2nd coat.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Nice job Dolan! Chairs really turned out good and I like the finish. The table is a nice touch. I also agree with what you told your neighbor, good job.

Oh yea, your new Avatar picture is cool!

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Dolan,

Just out of curiosity, what did you quote your neighbor? I agree with your attitude and feel the same way. I've sold a lot of these chairs over the past couple of years and typically charge $165 each, unfinished.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Steve,

I quoted him $175 per chair unfinished, that did not include the foot stool.

I checked a store on the island that sells a painted Adirondoack chair for $180, that I think is made out of pine, that are made well but not as detailed as mine. There are several of them at houses on the island that are painted blue, yellow, pink, green, etc. Yuck!8-O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors