Adirondack Chairs and frustration!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Since I started our garden a couple of weeks ago, we've been itching for somewhere to sit outside. Well what else does an amateur wood worker do but decide to build a pair of Adirondack chairs. So I did some digging and found this chair with free plans online. It's called Jake's Chair and you can get the plans here.

So I printed off the plans and cut my templates out of hard board. I was amazed at how quickly my dream of sitting in a big comfy cypress chair was coming along!
DSC02321.JPG

But I hit a road block, my stash of cypress wasn't enough. So I gave Jeremy (WoodWrangler) a call yesterday and boy did he come through! He stopped working on his workbench for a few moments and helped me raid his stash to find some cypress, cedar, and douglas fir to use to finish out my chairs. The different species are going to work pretty well because the slats are coming from the cypress and douglas while the frame is cypress. Road block moved and on with my progress.

We had plans yesterday afternoon so once I got home from Jeremy's I unloaded the lumber and day dreamed about construction. We got home early enough last night for me to lay out the parts and decide how to cut everything out of the lumber. It was getting late, so that's where I left it last night.

On to this morning...
I spent some time messing with the garden this morning and once little man laid down for his nap I snuck out to the shop. I broke out the jig saw to start breaking down the lumber into pieces. Man there's a lot of curves in one of these chairs. I jointed the edges and ripped all of the straight line pieces I could.

Then it was on to the bandsaw. I was half way through cutting out one support and the bandsaw started making funky noises. So I took the cover off to see what was going on and this greeted me. Well dang it, looks like I need new tires.
DSC02327.JPG

But I wasn't deterred. I grabbed the jig saw and started cutting. Well, my jig saw is a piece of crap. The blade doesn't stay at 90degrees.

DSC02323.JPG

So I'm done with the Adirondack chairs for this weekend. Anyone have a good place to get new tires? How do I order them? By bs is 50 years old, so finding a replacement will probably be fun.

Thanks again Jeremy! Without you I wouldn't be this far!!

mtrager

New User
Mitch
Call this company - just about all they do are bandsaws. IIRC they will custom make bandsaw tires.

Iturra Design
1-866-883-8064

Truefire

New User
Chris
Not trying to laugh at you, but boy does that sound like some days i have had in the past. The bad thing is when it happens to you it seems like you are the only one that has days like that or crappy equipment :kamahlitu.

Nothing makes me more perturbed than to have my heart on something, set on a project specifically speaking and then an ordeal as this. Wow.

Frustrating, it is...

Trust me, been there, got the T-Shirt. One day I am gonna have a nice shop :gar-Bi with some good quality tools and hopefully eliminate this element from any headaches.

:rotflm:

Can't wait until that day comes.

Take care, Chris

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Phillip, hang in there. We all have those days. With practice I only have them 7 days a week now. :wink_smil

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Look at the bright side ... you got some shop time and you have the templates created PERFECTLY!

Hope the wood helps out ... I gave you a steal of a deal at $14/bf on that stuff ... use it wisely! ha

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
You are going to love that chair. I made a couple of those and the matching footstools and they are extremely comforable, and very sturdy.

I didn't have my bandsaw when I did mine and used the jigsaw and flush trimmed to the template with a router. But you shouldn't have much trouble finding custom bandsaw tires actually; I'm sure all the web places will make them - Iturra sounds good.

tsmart

New User
Troy
Sounds like you have about the same luck as I normally do - always something.:BangHead:

We usually have a couple of these chairs for auction at our Ducks Unlimited banquet - and they do bring a good price. I had thought this weekend (kind of ironic) about trying to copy one of the chairs, before we auctioned them - but now I have a link.

Thanks for the link! :icon_thum

Good luck, and hope ya get things back on track.

T.

Dust Storm

New User
Jim
Maybe you could use the hardboard pattern and a pattern bit in your router to straighten out those edges. If that doesn't work, call it a "design enhancement" to "help the rainwater roll off", and just enjoy the chairs!

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I am curious - what kind of bandsaw? Most of the listings I see just give size and state you can vary 1/2" either way, like this:
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10783
Not suggesting that product as I have no experience with it, but it is just an example. No brands listed, just size. I have an old Dayton and it is pretty much a generic 14" as far as parts go. I put a Grizzly riser on it, for example.

CarvedTones

Andy
I consider the imperfect rounded corners on mine as part of its charm and authenticity. I owned a 3 ring, err - I mean wheel, bandsaw at the time and my cuts were not square nor always dead on the line...

Scott Kuykendall

New User
Scott
You might be able to get the tires from the manufacture of the band saw. I have a Delta Rockwell from the 50s and Delta had them in stock and even set me a copy of the manual that came with the saw when it was new. Here's a site with info on old woodworking machines that has manuals and other info that might help.
http://www.owwm.com/
Scott

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I am curious - what kind of bandsaw? Most of the listings I see just give size and state you can vary 1/2" either way, like this:
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10783
Not suggesting that product as I have no experience with it, but it is just an example. No brands listed, just size. I have an old Dayton and it is pretty much a generic 14" as far as parts go. I put a Grizzly riser on it, for example.

Thanks for the link Andy, I have never looked for new tires for my bandsaw. I guess it won't be as hard as I though. I need to measure my wheels just to make sure I get the right size.

Any recommendations on brand or type?

CarvedTones

Andy
Thanks for the link Andy, I have never looked for new tires for my bandsaw. I guess it won't be as hard as I though. I need to measure my wheels just to make sure I get the right size.

Any recommendations on brand or type?

Remember you are talking to a miser. I will get the cheapest urethane tires I can find. This is not an item where there is much to get wrong, IMO. A 1/8" thick band of a fairly generic material. I believe there is some variance in quality out there, but it isn't as significant as it is with blades (I have a WoodSlicer on most of the time; I don't get generic blades).

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Hey Phillip,

If I remember correctly, you have a King-Seeley made Craftsman 12"? I briefly had one before I traded it and a similar vintage Delta Rockwell 4" jointer for a 14" Walker Turner BS. Anyway, before I lef it go, I put on a set of Carter 12" tires that seemed to work well. Keep in mind, you'll need to crown the tires once you get them on, but that's pretty straight-forward if you have a belt or disk sander. Drop me a note if you hit any snags.

Good lookin' start on the chairs by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS