Adirondack Chair Finsh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Jimmy at KMI suggested I use a 1/3 mix of Spar Urethane, BLO, and Mineral Spirits to treat the Adirondack Chairs. He has used this on chairs made at KMI with good results. So I have tested this recipe on a piece of cypress scrap. It gave the cypress a nice light amber color. just what I was looking for but how about water soaking in the wood.

I put a application on and waited 20-30 minutes, wiped excess off, waited 2 hours, put another application on wiped it after 20-30 minutes and waited 2 hours. Then I poured water on part of the scrap and set a glass of ice water on the other half to test for water rings where the glass was sweating. After an hour or so I wiped off the water that had beaded up and waited a few minutes and I did not see any evidence of any water marks.

Any comments/thoughts about this recipe for exterior furniture?

frigator

New User
Robin Frierson
My experience without outdoor finishes is the only one that lasts any time is paint, and of course that fails eventually. My favorite outdoor finish is nothing and have learned to like the grey weathered look. I did an Adirondick chair out of river recovered heart cypress yrs ago and its doing fine with nothing on it. If you decide to put a finish on, be prepared to put it on again and again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors