Adhesive to attach stained glass to wood

agrieco

anthony
Corporate Member
Hi,

Odd request- I have a design made from walnut that I’d like to attach a piece made of stained glass to the front of it. I’d like this to be something that lasts so I’m looking for permanent-ish solutions.

I dont have access to a CNC, nor candidly the patience for manually cutting a recess the piece into the wood itself.

My first thought was some sort of epoxy. Anyone have any other thoughts, or recommendations on an epoxy for such an application?

thanks

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
I use plumbers goop to secure glass surface to my turkey calls. I think that will be better than epoxy for you. Goop is flexible so it allows for a little movement with the seasons.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@agrieco - clear silicone is is a good option since you can cut it if you are a little sloppy... I think epoxy might be a little rigid or possibly brittle where the silicone is a good "glue" but is somewhat flexible too.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My first thought would be to make a nice frame to attach the piece, but wondering about the shape. Maybe not rectangle?

agrieco

anthony
Corporate Member
My first thought would be to make a nice frame to attach the piece, but wondering about the shape. Maybe not rectangle?

The stained glass isn’t a regular shape. To give you a sense- here is what we’re dealing with.

Attachments

• 6ED4166E-9FBA-4282-B6B1-B04491FB3946.jpeg
    6ED4166E-9FBA-4282-B6B1-B04491FB3946.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 188

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
To answer the question, as others have said Silicone glue is the way to go. The wood will move and the glass will not.

I guess I wonder why attach it to a board at all rather than hang it in a window to let the light shine through it. I'm sure there are reasons though, I'm just not thinking of them.

The wife has several small stained glass hangings in windows around the house. They add a lot of color, especially when the sun shines through them.

agrieco

anthony
Corporate Member
To answer the question, as others have said Silicone glue is the way to go. The wood will move and the glass will not.

I guess I wonder why attach it to a board at all rather than hang it in a window to let the light shine through it. I'm sure there are reasons though, I'm just not thinking of them.

The wife has several small stained glass hangings in windows around the house. They add a lot of color, especially when the sun shines through them.
Best described as sentimental reasons.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS