Adding strength to outdoor bench seat.

dazart

New User
Steve
I'm replacing the wood on my MIL's outdoor bench. Nick (NTCook) gave me some Angelim Pedra wood almost a year ago (wow - i've been 'sitting' on this project for quite some time).

I wasn't able to get the strips quite as wide as the original pieces, but they were close. The only place it'll make a difference is on the back - there will be a small gap between the top and bottom pieces of wood and the metal back (hard to explain).

View media item 124479
None of that is relevant to my question, but I was rambling. :) I think I'd like to put something under the seat across the slats to help strengthen it. The thing is the the slats are connected to the metal sides in a manner that makes them kind of round for a more comfortable sit. Any suggestions on how to strengthen the seat?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I redid a bench like that several years ago and it had the metal straps that you mentioned in your original thread. You could make another set of straps. Angelim pedra is really hard and strong so it may not sag or flex very much and maybe you don't need any additional support. It's not like 200 lb humans are sitting on the bench all day so a little sag won't be noticeable.

Last edited:

nn4jw

New User
Jim
My store bought seat had a metal strap running from the middle back of the top slat, down the back, around and under the seat and to the underside of the front slat. It was attached to each slat with a screw. The strap itself was about 1/2"-3/4" wide and and maybe 1/8" thick, solid except for where the screws were.

Hope that helps.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
You could trace the curve from the metal side and cut a couple pieces to fit
then drill countersunk holes in the strips and screw from the bottom.
Would be much more support than a thin metal strip.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS