Adding other tools to a miter saw station along the wall

Unknownroad

New User
Sarah
So I've been trying to figure out a way to make the best use of my available space and manage dust at the same time. It's been a challenge since most of my space optimization has always involved mobile tools, which makes the dust collection more complicated. In the past my dust collection consisted of doing all my work in the driveway and letting the wind take care of it, but now I'm in a basement and it's not working as well.

My thought has been that I could put a drill press and jointer on the same wall as the miter saw, set it up so that the work heights and depths are all about the same (with the drill press having a variable table height of course) and keep all of my long-board operations over there. However, I'm searching the net for layout inspiration and it doesn't look like it's actually a thing that anyone does.

Is there something I'm missing on this plan, or has anyone had success with a similar setup?

Unknownroad

New User
Sarah
The jointer is a variable at the moment because I don't own (and haven't used) one, so I'm not sure if mobility would be an asset or not. If there's not a compelling reason to leave it mobile then I would build it in.

Ted P

Ted
Corporate Member
I have my miter saw set up on a wall with a floor standing drill press on one side with man door beyond, and a radial arm saw on the other side with a floor standing hydraulic press (not woodworking) sandwiched in between. With that setup I can easily cut supported ~5' on the drill press side and ~8' on the radial arm saw side. Seems like a reasonable use of wall space.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS