Adding an outlet in a concrete floor.

FlyingRon

Ron
If we're talking North Carolina, the local jurisdictions are NOT supposed to be overriding the 2017 NEC. It is not supposed to vary one iota within NC. Virginia is the same way but they're still on the 2014 version of the code. There's no difference in the 2014 and 2017 code for these issues (they go way back to at least before 2000). I can't vouch for other states.

Jeremy is right: You can't use Romex (conduit or not) in wet locations (which this most likely is). You can put Romex in conduit if only for "protection from physical damage." Otherwise, you may not. If you're going to do this you want to put THWN or the like in the conduit.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
If you are going to run a outlet in the floor, I recommend if you are going to cut the slab to trench set the rigid Conduit (must be rigid) , trench down 6" min below the bottom of the slab.. Depending where you are - back fill it with one of these, they are more or less the same - coquina, crusher-run, 1/4 by dust, 2B........ Or some municipalities have a utilities sand spec. All will be mostly sand and some kind of crushed fines from rock or limestone that super compacts. This prevent the ground sagging or consolidating which will cause the concrete patch to sink. I would recommend you do this or have some labor do it for you. Paying the electrician to do this costs more because they charge a higher rate, and frankly they do not do as nice of a job as someone is is more familiar with dirt/concrete work.

I've been thinking about adding an outlet in the floor of my garage workshop's concrete floor so that I can get the table saw's power cord out of the way. i know that there will be a need to cut a channel through the concrete to give access to run the cable and conduit from the wall. So here are my questions:

1) Do I need to make the channel myself or is this something the electrician will do?
2) After the electrician is done, will he patch the channel or do I need to do that?
3) Has anyone done this?

Thanks.

-NCGrimbo

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
The Durham shop had 2x4 sleepers and 1.5 foam under 3/4 ply. Had unisaw, jointer, bs, etc
Seem to hold up very well and nice in the winter. A lot easier on the old joints too.
Power conduit could easily be run without concrete work.
Ed

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I've been thinking about adding an outlet in the floor of my garage workshop's concrete floor so that I can get the table saw's power cord out of the way. i know that there will be a need to cut a channel through the concrete to give access to run the cable and conduit from the wall. So here are my questions:

1) Do I need to make the channel myself or is this something the electrician will do?
2) After the electrician is done, will he patch the channel or do I need to do that?
3) Has anyone done this?

Thanks.

-NCGrimbo

I would recommend not cutting the floor. You can run a conductor inside of a heavy-duty cord protector that will keep it from being a trip hazard in your shop and will also be a lot less expensive than cutting and patching your floor. Flexibility in shop layout can be more important that you might think.

FlyingRon

Ron
The Durham shop had 2x4 sleepers and 1.5 foam under 3/4 ply. Had unisaw, jointer, bs, etc
Seem to hold up very well and nice in the winter. A lot easier on the old joints too.
Power conduit could easily be run without concrete work.
Ed
This is a great idea if you have the ceiling height to do it. Concrete is tough on the feet. My last shop had ceilings so low, I couldn't even consider it. My current shop has 17' ceilings

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS