Added another Millers Falls brace to my collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Found this big guy on eBay. It was a bit pricey @ $35, but it is the first one this size I have seen. This model was made from 1915 through 1944. This particular brace appears to have been manufactured sometime between 1925 and 1935. This is model No. 769 with a 16" swing. Massive torque potential! :D

A couple of pictures in as received condition:
Millers Falls 7xx braces 001.JPG Millers Falls 7xx braces 002.JPG

It was pretty stiff when I got it, although everything did operate as it should. The nickle plate was in rough shape and starting flake to off in a few areas.
I spent about 3 hours taking it apart, cleaning and de-rusting, and putting it back together. Whatever lubrication was in the moving parts had long since evaporated leaving behind a lot of caked on mess. But, other than that, everything appeared to be in good condition. There are a couple of short checks in the wrist handle wood that I filled in with some CA to hopefully stop them from growing.

So here it is back together again:
Millers Falls 7xx braces 004.JPG Millers Falls 7xx braces 003.JPG

Nice Cocobola used for the head:
Millers Falls 7xx braces 005.JPG

Here it is with the others I have in this series. From top to bottom, (this one) 769(16"), 770(14"), 771(12"), 772(10"), 772(10"). Still looking to acquire a 773(8") and the very elusive 774(6") to complete this series. The small 774 is going to be tough to find, it was only made for 4 years, 1915 - 1919.
Millers Falls 7xx braces 006.JPG

You can see in the group picture some of the changes made to this series through the years. Millers Falls used 'tropical hardwoods' for the first few years, then switched to cocobola, then back to tropical hardwoods. All of these braces have the Millers Falls patented 'Lion' chuck, but, if you look closely you can see some of the changes that this chuck went through over the years.
Here are a couple of pictures showing some of the different Lion chucks:
Millers Falls 7xx braces 007.JPG Millers Falls 7xx braces 008.JPG

The chuck on the right is the original design with a round opening and using the Leland patent universal jaws. On the left is the chuck with a rectangular opening and cut away corners introduced around 1925, also using Leland's universal jaws. The center picture shows the latest type of Lion chuck, back to a round opening and using 'economy type' universal jaws. This is the Lion chuck used from 1957 until the line was discontinued. The 10" No. 772 was manufactured until 1972.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I decided to give this brace (and myself) a little workout today. Just wanted to see how much that extra swing helped in actual use. I drilled a couple of 1" diameter holes in a chunk of very old, very dry red oak.

The oak is about 3-1/2" top to bottom. That hole was no challenge at all going through face grain. Took about a minute, minute and a half.

So I tried drilling into the end grain. 7-1/2" end to end. The bit was just long enough to poke through the end so I could come at it from the other side to finish the hole. The end grain hole took probably 6-7 minutes. Had to stop and switch hands, a couple of times.

Bottom line: the 16" swing on this thing provides a tremendous amount of torque. I did not have any difficulty turning the brace. I had to really push on the brace to keep the bit moving through the end grain cut, but that had nothing to do with the capabilities of the brace.

Millers Falls 7xx braces 009.JPG Millers Falls 7xx braces 010.JPG Millers Falls 7xx braces 011.JPG

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wow, 16" swing - I wish I'd had that when drilling the dog holes in the 5" thick Maple bench I made. (see my avatar for me using a 13" swing)

Nice score.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I have a brace that my dad gave me some years ago and said it was his fathers. How do I get information on it as far as the year and origin?
I would love to know how old it is. It is in really nice condition and my dad has used it many ties when I was a kid.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Monster brace.

Did you remove all the nickel plating and polish the steel?

Most of the nickle was already flaking off. I used a brass wire wheel on my grinder followed by scotch brite to remove the loose stuff and clean/polish the steel.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Just looked up my brace and it is a Stanley #923 12". Thanks for the site Ken.

The 923 brace was manufactured by Stanley from ~1905 through 1984. One of their best sellers. If you want to narrow down the time frame when yours was made, check for any patent dates stamped on the chuck or ratchet. If it is a 923A model, those were made from 1934-1942.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors