Added a Ring to the drill press quill acuator handles

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Added a wooden ring to the actuator handles so I could have better control. Does help, - next time when I do this Ill get the right router bit.
All I had was a 1" 45 deg, made for way too much sanding
20191019_110349.jpg

Attachments

• 20191019_110402.jpg
    20191019_110402.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 94

cmboggs

Chris
User
How did you do the feed throughs for the original handles? I would think keeping everything centered during the fab process would be a little tricky.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Actually not that hard. The Angle of the hole was the hardest part. couldn't get an exact read of the angle between 16 - 18 degrees. I went with 17deg .... proved to be close. Probably was 17.5.
The shaft, the knob unscrews, so I figured that the correct measure would be from bottom of knob to bottom of knob. That was 13.125 " all I had a 13" wide planer so....... I made it 13" wide.

Cut it out with the bandsaw for the outside and sabre saw on on the inside. Routed it with a 45 deg slant bit ---- should have gotten a real 90 deg cove bit.. It was night time.

Unscrewed the handles and knobs and discovered the threads were rolled on the shaft.... than means the shaft was .37 but the threads were .42/.43 dia. I reamed it out to .40 and then threaded the shaft through.

Centering was nothing more than setting the first one about 1/16" away from the knob on the first installed one (only hand seated not tightened) and assumed the others would self-reckon.... it did.

Now I need to make new knobs these are too big and ugly. Probably use colobolo or rose wood, mostly because it is what I have that is hard in 2"x2".

How did you do the feed throughs for the original handles? I would think keeping everything centered during the fab process would be a little tricky.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors