Acrylic Jr. Gents Pen - my first one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badabing

New User
Joe
Just thought I'd post this for your review. I got the blank at the Charlotte Woodworking show from Crafts Supplies. I really liked the pattern and color so I thought I'd try it out on a new pen kit (for me, it's new). This is a Jr. Gentlemen't Pen II. I really like it, it is a rollerball and writes very nicely.

Working with acrylic wasn't as bad as my previous experience. I learned a lot since then and this pen came out pretty nice. I have since bought a few other acrylic blanks and will try my hand at some of those soon.

Thanks for looking!

GeorgeL

New User
George
Hi Joe,

That's a good looking pen! :icon_thum
Your choice of acrylic color and pattern compliments the pen.
Alex is working on a series of acrylic pens for the Raleigh Children's Museum. We have found there is a huge difference in acrylic material from the various suppliers, some turn well and other chip and chunk.

Just curious, did you wet sand this pen?

George

Badabing

New User
Joe
Yes indeed. Wet sanded it from 320 grit all the way up through the micromesh set. Then used the 20/20 plastic polish on it. I did have a small chip out but was able to sand it mostly away and then hide it under the clip :wink_smil.

Which suppliers have the best acrylic blanks? I have some from Woodcraft that were on sale and so far, they have been fine. This one from Crafts Supplies did chip that one time but it could easily have been my fault :dontknow: That's all I've used so far though.

Thanks George! Tell Alex to keep up the good work too, he is an inspiration!!!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice looking pen there Joe. :icon_thum I have not had a chance to play with acrylics. Maybe someday.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Joe is that a Tobacco Marble blank. I did the same type of thing with a Jr. Statesman. CSUSA has good acrylic, woodcraft is pretty good as well. The biggest thing I can tell you with Acrylic is have really sharp tools and go slow.

You pren looks amazing. You got a great shine on it. How did you have your lights setup when you took that. Did you paint your tube? I know when I do my next one I am going to paint the brass brown.

here is the Jr. Statesman I did.

IMG_1770.JPG

jimwill48

James
Good looking pen and a good choice on the blank. I just started a few acrylic turnings myself (verfied wood lover, 1st) and I found that very sharp tools, going slow saves the day....

james

GeorgeL

New User
George
Yes indeed. Wet sanded it from 320 grit all the way up through the micromesh set. Then used the 20/20 plastic polish on it. I did have a small chip out but was able to sand it mostly away and then hide it under the clip :wink_smil.

Which suppliers have the best acrylic blanks? I have some from Woodcraft that were on sale and so far, they have been fine. This one from Crafts Supplies did chip that one time but it could easily have been my fault :dontknow: That's all I've used so far though.

Thanks George! Tell Alex to keep up the good work too, he is an inspiration!!!

Alex has had good luck with the acrylic blanks from Woodcraft. We haven't tried CSUSA acrylics yet but he just turned one from PSI and instead of long ribbons of acrylic that wrap around the mandrel, he got glass like shards which actually cut him as they flew off. That issue aside, the blank had amazing color and depth when polished. As they others have already said, sharp tools are a must.

George

Badabing

New User
Joe
Thanks James, thanks Scott! Very nice looking Pen Kevin! That Jr. Statesman is my next kit purchase too. Now that I know I like the rollerballs with caps, I will try that one.

For the pictures I take, I usually use a light tent. I bought some extra light fixtures for it too, and use daylight flourescent bulbs. I still can't get the pictures perfect but they come out much better than with just the camera flash now:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS