Acid corrosion removal

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Phosphoric Acid is what I normally use to clean something in a couple of hours or less.
Evaporust works great if you do not mind leaving over night or longer.

The advantage of Phosphoric Acid is it creates an anti rust film on the surface. THis allows you some time before rusting will begin again. When usings Acetic or Citric acid, both of these rusting will commence as soon as you dry them off. So you have to clean dry and paint immediately after after cleaning. The Phosphoric Acid you have a couple of days before rusting will begin spotting. If I am doing a lot of parts cleaning, then Phosphoric Acid is the makes it is easier on you time-wise. Small Parts cleaning anything will work

With regard to citric and acetic (vinegar), if you are near a wholesale restaurant supply. Bop in and look at their vitamin or baking section. They will sell institutional grades of these. Usually the Vinegar will be 7-10% and the citric acid will be in powder @ 99% . Both are cheap. Just a FYI.

Last night I was looking at a rusty 12" saw plate and dado set, and wondered about the safety of using a phosphoric acid product and the potential to induce cracking. This thread is very much on point but after working through it I still don't know the answer to my concern. Appearance is not so important but avoiding flying bits is a high priority. What do people think? Thanks for any guidance!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Phosphoric Acid is what I normally use to clean something in a couple of hours or less.
Evaporust works great if you do not mind leaving over night or longer.

The advantage of Phosphoric Acid is it creates an anti rust film on the surface. THis allows you some time before rusting will begin again. When usings Acetic or Citric acid, both of these rusting will commence as soon as you dry them off. So you have to clean dry and paint immediately after after cleaning. The Phosphoric Acid you have a couple of days before rusting will begin spotting. If I am doing a lot of parts cleaning, then Phosphoric Acid is the makes it is easier on you time-wise. Small Parts cleaning anything will work

With regard to citric and acetic (vinegar), if you are near a wholesale restaurant supply. Bop in and look at their vitamin or baking section. They will sell institutional grades of these. Usually the Vinegar will be 7-10% and the citric acid will be in powder @ 99% . Both are cheap. Just a FYI.
Oka,
You suggested a wholesale restaurant supply for citric and acetic (vinegar)
Did you have a suggestion for purchasing Phosphoric Acid (if not on-line)?

Also is this somewhat hazardous? (gloves and safety glasses or a hazmat suit? LOL)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS