Accurate cutting/filing/sanding a small area (hardwood)

harpone

New User
Harpone
I am working on a craft project that requires accuracy I am finding hard to achieve. The attached piece shows a roughed out shape of a 3/4" piece of hardwood. The steps are 3/4x1/4x1/2". I hove found from experience that I cannot get an exact fit with a scroll saw so I have been cutting the step height a little heavy, then using a rasp, old wood file and sandpaper. Time consuming and not always satisfactory. I am looking for a better way. Any suggestions?
IMG_1271.jpeg

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Handsaw each of the horizontal cuts, then make the vertical cuts. Handsaw or chisel will make fast work.

Scroll saw is not the proper tool

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Saw with a detail saw then pare to a scribe line. Keep the piece long then cut off after your done so you can clamp it down while chiselling.

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
un my detail work that that, i have a saw 10" bandsaw that i use to cut out the piece and then go to my 1" belt sander to sand to the line. Not sure what tools you have

harpone

New User
Harpone
un my detail work that that, i have a saw 10" bandsaw that i use to cut out the piece and then go to my 1" belt sander to sand to the line. Not sure what tools you have
What does a 1" sander look like? I have a 10" bandsaw.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would make a paper plan, glue it on the piece, cut just outside the line with your bandsaw and then sand or chisel to the line

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
That’s a perfect opportunity to practice your handsaw skills. Cut to the line and then clean up with a file and sandpaper. Or use a bandsaw if you have one. Just about as efficient as is gets. Good luck!

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Mike Davis has given you the best solution for accuracy and ease of construction. All of the offsets are the same. Mark a board that is wider than your final width with a cabinetmaker's triangle so you can identify the grain orientation. If the strips are ripped from the same board and the longer offset cut from the same end of each strip, the glue joints won't show as the grain will match.

harpone

New User
Harpone
This is the HF version

and this is the Rikon one.

this is just a couple of options.
Thanks. I don't know whether the project is worth buying another sander, particularly when I have so little space left in my end-of-garage work area.

Last edited:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Any chance you can do this with a dado blade? You'd need to cut the steps into a larger board and then saw it off, or build some sort of jig, but incrementally raising the blad would give you the desired accuracy. I created a holder for some small party trays that way. Biggest challenge would be the height, you could only get to about 4" with an 8" dado stack.

harpone

New User
Harpone
Any chance you can do this with a dado blade? You'd need to cut the steps into a larger board and then saw it off, or build some sort of jig, but incrementally raising the blad would give you the desired accuracy. I created a holder for some small party trays that way. Biggest challenge would be the height, you could only get to about 4" with an 8" dado stack.

I keep wishing my little DeWalt saw would take a dado blade: it doesn't. Your idea sounds like a good one and could probably work with my small project. Attached is a picture of my prototype fishing boat to give you an idea of what I did previously........... I have cut out everything for the modified design (which is a little longer and has an additional deck) except the finished bow. I couldn't use the prototype as a pattern because of the changed dimensions.
IMG_1178.jpeg

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
I will state again - if this pattern can be cut in 1/4" or 1/2" plywood. A laser cutter will get you 0.001" accuracy.

If you can supply a CAD, Vector drawing or something with dimensions. I would be happy to cut you some samples.

harpone

New User
Harpone
I will state again - if this pattern can be cut in 1/4" or 1/2" plywood. A laser cutter will get you 0.001" accuracy.

If you can supply a CAD, Vector drawing or something with dimensions. I would be happy to cut you some samples.
Ken -

Thanks. I appreciate your offer. I an using .75-.80" hardwood for the bow. I think the easiest way for me to go is with Mike Davis' suggestion for glued strips.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS