According to my wife ...

gritz

New User
Robert
Your wife is correct, and you should agree with her. Time to sell that saw...and get a SawStop. Every opportunity to get more tools should be exploited. It may take years, but the nerves should slowly regenerate.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
4 out of 5 ain't bad...j/k
Some people may not like the graphic pictures but pictures like this reminded me over the weekend when i was cutting some small pieces to take a second and make it safer. get well soon

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I had a cut to the bone of two fingers a few years ago on my TS and have had the same experience as others have described. After spending a few hours with me in the local ER my wife said no more woodworking for me until I bought MicroJig® GRR Rippers.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Never had a tablesaw injury, but the jointer got index, middle and ring fingertips... my fault for not using a push stick on small piece. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
Hope the recovery is swift and complete.

And to follow up on Charley's comment- don't reenact the event once you figure it out.

Sounds like a smart #%% comment- I know. But I have done exactly that on a deli slicer when I was quite a few years younger. "Hey Jim! I figured out how I sliced my finger. I was doing this..."
Fortunately , that part of my finger had already been removed.
Kind of keeps me humble.
I ran my pinky through a deli meat slicer in college. 60+ stitches internal and external to hold the filet together. Still have a nasty scar! I still get squeamish buying lunch meat for the kids... just watching them makes me shiver.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I've got my left thumb 2 times now. Both times I was lucky I was reaching over my blade. Something I know not to do. Both times it was on the back side of the blade. So the blade was coming up out of the saw. When the blade hits your finger it is knocked up and away from the blade. I had a bit cut off, but it grew back. I don't clear my saw when it's running anymore.

Pop

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
This thread should be pinned at the top. It's amazing how many of us have suffered pretty serious injuries.

jrmckins

New User
Jim
Your wife is correct, and you should agree with her. Time to sell that saw...and get a SawStop. Every opportunity to get more tools should be exploited. It may take years, but the nerves should slowly regenerate.
The ones in my middle finger haven't regenerated

jrmckins

New User
Jim
I had a cut to the bone of two fingers a few years ago on my TS and have had the same experience as others have described. After spending a few hours with me in the local ER my wife said no more woodworking for me until I bought MicroJig® GRR Rippers.
Yeah, unfortunately, that only works if you use it. Odds are I'd do something without thinking and bounce a finger off the blade. I've had two injuries and have made thousands of cuts. Statistically, I didn't hurt myself.

jrmckins

New User
Jim
Ya'll be careful out there, y'hear?

EXKid

New User
Mark
My dad told me once that when you’re not a little scared of the thing, that’s when you get it. As such, I’m pretty conscious every time I turn it on that this could be the time that patient meat eater takes a bite.

He had an incident years ago with kickback that drew large amounts of blood, and it was because he was thinking about something else while doing something he’d done many times (ripping something or other).
He was thinking about my grandfather (died a few years earlier). Guess Grandpa let him know he should pay better attention.

Hope you heal well.

Hjanes

Harlan
User
After five stitches to close the flesh on my thumb, I adopted firm self-rules. If I am getting in a hurry and rushing, no power tools (the cause of that thumb injury). If I don't have time to put the proper devices on the power tool, I stop. If I'm tired, I don't use power tools. I blame myself, the operator, not the fine tools I'm fortunate to have. And an amazing (to me) observation of the human body. My thumb injury removed considerable flesh and was closed in rough fashion. It healed. And today my thumb print has returned and there's not a single scar. Maybe some MD can explain that.

jrmckins

New User
Jim
After five stitches to close the flesh on my thumb, I adopted firm self-rules. If I am getting in a hurry and rushing, no power tools (the cause of that thumb injury). If I don't have time to put the proper devices on the power tool, I stop. If I'm tired, I don't use power tools. I blame myself, the operator, not the fine tools I'm fortunate to have. And an amazing (to me) observation of the human body. My thumb injury removed considerable flesh and was closed in rough fashion. It healed. And today my thumb print has returned and there's not a single scar. Maybe some MD can explain that.
There wasn't enough flesh and skin remaining to stitch mine closed. There are two dissolving stitches deep down then just an open wound. The doctor had to cut out some of the mangled meat in my thumb before wrapping it up. I don't think I'm avoiding a scar.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I agtee with Harlan. After my kickback accident I do not turn on a power tool if Im tired or in a hurry

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I agtee with Harlan. After my kickback accident I do not turn on a power tool if Im tired or in a hurry

Same. Add distracted to the list. That's what caused my kickback on TS.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Years back I was working at a millwork company. One young man in the shop was working there while his wife was an intern at a local hospital. He cut out very graphic pages from her surgery medical journals and pasted them on the front of his locker. For the few years he worked there, there wasn't a single injury in the shop.

jrmckins

New User
Jim
I take picture of my wound every day. I'm going to figure out a good way to display them and post here. Maybe the powers that be will pin that post.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
After a few of those bloody TS injuries like yours. I learned to set the blade height to just clear the top of the board, use a push stick and never reach over the blade.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS