About to do some paint testing....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had to have the tenants evicted from my old home & they finally got moved out this week. What they left was a disaster. Every wall had been literally COVERED with crayon. Normally I would use a Shieldz Primer and 2 coat it but I've seen some ads on TV about interior paints made by Olympic & others that will cover anything. I guess I'm about to find out if they are correct. I'll keep you posted. Meanwhile, has anyone else here had a similar experience? What did you use?

DWSmith

New User
David
Just painted a bedroom with Valspar paint and primer. We used a light yellow over the original darker paint and stencil and it only took one coat. I was very satisfied with the result.

When we painted the den and kitchen ceiling this past week, it took two coats and 2 1/3 gallons of Olympic ceiling paint to cover the ceiling which had been painted previously. So much for a 400 sq ft coverage. I guess I should have stuck with Valspar.

When I painted the den walls this week, I also used a Valspar paint and primer. Another medium yellow over beige walls. Again, I was satisfied with the results although maybe I didn't rinse the cleaner well enough which caused some splotches in the first coat. The second coat covered completely and evenly.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Anything beyond normal wear and tear is DAMAGE. You expect to have to paint, but the cost of getting rid of crayon marks isn't considered normal wear and tear. I hope you are taking tenants to small claims court for excessive damage. Take LOTS of pictures!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Oh, we have pictures. But the tenant exhausted the Small Claims Court limit of $5,000.00 on rent. :BangHead: I'm just glad to get the guy outa there. I've got broken windows & doors, holes in drywall, a missing toilet, and cabinets with missing drawers & doors. It's a loooooong story but this chapter is over.

Anything beyond normal wear and tear is DAMAGE. You expect to have to paint, but the cost of getting rid of crayon marks isn't considered normal wear and tear. I hope you are taking tenants to small claims court for excessive damage. Take LOTS of pictures!

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
On the Train Bed I just made, I used Valspar Premium for the blue and Valspar Signature for the red. I hated the Valspar Premium because it had bubbles all in it. When I cleaned out the brushes, it was bubbly and soapy. The Valspar Signature did fine. I think I am going back to Behr paints. I have always liked them, but I haven't had to cover issues as severe as what you have. Good luck on the repairs!

Amy

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Main purpose of going to small claims (which it seems you have done) is so when someone runs a credit check it shows up. It's amazing how when you tell a prospective tenant that you will run a credit check AT THEIR EXPENSE, how it acts like a "truth serum."

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Main purpose of going to small claims (which it seems you have done) is so when someone runs a credit check it shows up. It's amazing how when you tell a prospective tenant that you will run a credit check AT THEIR EXPENSE, how it acts like a "truth serum."

Oh, he knows that already and has stated he will repay the judgement against him ASAP. He can't rent another place until he can establish good credit.
Ironically, he asked if he could use me as a reference. :rotflm:

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
I'm sorry to hear about all that damage Dennis. Waxy stains like crayon will bleed back through almost any primer. I highly recommend KILZ primer by Zinzer. It is shellac based and will permanently seal out the crayon. Be sure to get their original KILZ, not the water based Kilz-2.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Sorry to hear about the mess and damage at the rental. I would just stay away from peach paint. ;)

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
When my 4 kids were small it was almost impossible to keep the walls and furniture from collecting at least some crayon marks. We found that Jubilee cleaner removed the marks completely without affecting the paint or finish beneath. You could then leave the walls as is or paint without a problem.

Charley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS