Abandon my chop saw?

nick roberts

New User
Nick
Hi folks - just found this community and have been browsing the forums. What a great resource!

I’ve been building out my small shop in my garage (like many others). I built a miter saw station about 2 years ago and love it. However, the real estate it takes up is significant. I am about to build my first crosscut sled as I finish some upgrades to my table saw and had a crazy thought yesterday. Should I sell my miter saw and use that space for other tools?

I’m wondering if others have gone through this and what you think. Thanks again folks.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
My miter saw is my principle cross cut tool. I find it much more convinient than dragging out a sled for the table saw. It's accurate enough that I make my joinery cuts with it : Makita 10" slider.
I'm with Tim on this one. I don't have my Miter saw set up in station, but it is my primary cross cut tool. I do have and use my TS cross cut sled, but primarily for small pieces that would be too close/dangerous with a MS.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I do more carpentry with my MS than woodworking. I have two decks and 400' of fence to maintain and it seems like I always need to replace a board or picket.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I have a 12" miter saw and a cross cut sled for my table saw. I never use the cross cut sled unless the board is too wide for my miter saw. The miter saw is my go to for cross cutting. The table saw usually has a good ripping blade installed or a dado set if that's what I'm doing.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard, Nick; glad you found us! As to the question of abandoning the chop saw, for me the answer would be a resounding, No! My first shop was small, so I know the value of real estate, but I believe the the convenience and utility of a chop saw would be greatly missed.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I find doing work that requires less than 100% accuracy, the Miter saw is great, but if the the miters have to be perfect the 1st time, then I use various hand saws. The reason being, those kind of cuts can be done with the miter saw, but setting them up and getting them set correctly before the cut take almost as much time as time as just doing it by hand. And ... I know the cut is always going to be right 1st time.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
If you build something like this you have a miter saw stand that you can pull out, open up and saw long boards, then fold up and stow away in a corner. All the while it can be used as storage.

1596997431444.png

Brian Patterson

New User
Bstrom
I've traded a miter saw in the shop for a 1950's and 60's pair of DeWalt radial arm saws for these duties. One as a crosscut/miter saw and another that allows for easy and accurate dados. My sliding miter saw is reserved for frame construction and the like.

nick roberts

New User
Nick
Wow. Thanks folks. You’ve convinced me. Giving up the convenience of the MS would be a pretty big deal. I may just have to redesign the station / stand. I like the flip top ideas and was already thing of that for my milking tools. Thanks again folks!

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
Nick, I went through the same thought process. Moving from a very large shop to a small one. Do I take my miter saw or not? It is a 12" Bosch. I decided to take the miter saw, put it at the narrow end of my building and build a table on either side attached to the wall. I will then make a cut out in the table. Underneath the tables I will store my benchtop tools (small jointer, OS sander, small strip sander, etc.). Each of these will be mounted to a platform that matches the cut-out in the miter saw table. The platforms will slide onto runners underneath the miter saw tables.
When I'm using my miter saw I insert the flat insert into the table. If I want to use one of my other tools, I remove the flat insert and place one of the tools with platform into the cut-out..

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS