A Wooden "Tommy-Gun"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
I may have posted something about this a while back, but I've been ill for about the past year with medical-"treatment" side-effects, so have only just been recovering and becoming productive again. Got a large amount of work done on the tommy-gun project, 2/3 of full scale, virtually all wood. Will try to get some detail photos put up soon, but it's getting late now, and I wanted to get this post started.

The display-stand is a piece of old oak dresser-drawer side, with turned mahogany standards.

Since taking the above this afternoon, I have cut-down the display-stand edges and squared them up, given a slight bevel to the top edge, and finished off with Cabot's water-borne walnut PolyStain all-in-one finish. "Metal-Work" is wood, of course, painted with a mixture of black, ocean-blue, and metallic-platinum acrylic artist colors. More pix to come, I'm in the home stretch with only the trigger and elevator rear-sight to complete. The walnut has the same Cabot finish.

Regards, John

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Beautiful piece, as usual, John. And glad to see you're back working again. Hope the medical treatment has been a huge success.

Bill

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
Begining the pine receiver, nose and channel formed on router table, but chipping was encountered; this piece was replaced with another after practice runs:

More practice -- boring for bolt and barrel:

Drilling the ejection port; I don't have an adjustable angle vise, so the 30degree angle is compromised for 45degrees:

Shaped and sanded port:

Christmas ribbon spool, 4-1/2 x 1, that started the project!"

New pine receiver and ash barrel:

Tool on left ground for narrow grooves of barrel, compared with old Holtzapfel tool I made ages ago:

New barrel and receiver try-fit:

Oops! broke the front end, and repaired same:

Key built up in model airplane style, 1/16in basswood:

Key in process laid out on drum:

Underside of key:

Key painted, rivets not done yet:

Front end drilled for foregrip support:

Cutting away excess matter before clean-up on router-table:

Foregrip mount, 3/8 x 3/16 rectangular tube with wood block"

Wood block partially shaped:

Rear sight base worked up in basswood:

Trigger frame rouged-down in walnut:

Frame with grip and top THB ("old brown clipboard"):

close-up on pistol-grip:

Sub-assemblies:

View of buttplate, 1/16in hobby brass, with temporary screws during fit-up:

Thats basically it, a little work on the trigger and sight components should finish it up. Plans were Ordnance plans for the 1928 (virtually identical except a few assemblies) available from The un-official tommy-gun page

Note that the 1928 does not use the vertical foregrip nor adjustable elevator rear sight, so no plans were available for those; the foregrip came out a little under-scale, and the rear sight is un-certain in that regard.

Regards, John

Last edited:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Cool project John! Thanks for the WIP pictures too. I'm glad to hear that you're making sawdust again. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors