A wonderful dado router jig

Status
Not open for further replies.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
A couple of month ago there was a post about a tablesaw dado set tearing plywood. I though I would share this jig as an alternative to routing dados on the tablesaw. What I really like about this jig is that you can clamp matching pieces together to get perfectly fitting dados. I also have a Freud 8" dado set for the tablesaw, but for larger pieces, I like this jig even more. The finished surface had a little fuzz that sanded right off with no tearout. I used a 1/2" straight bit for the routing and made two passes so that I could get just the right thickness for the plywood. One note of caution: make sure everything is clamped down very well. The first time I used it, I only clamped the jig and the piece moved and it messed up my dado.

Here is the link I used to build my jig:
WOODWORKING : Woodworking Shop : Jigs and Fixtures for the Table Router and Plunge Router : DIY Network

Attachments

• beforejig.jpg
    beforejig.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 293
  • afterjig.jpg
    afterjig.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 291

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
A few of us have built this one and like it for the same reason of being able to cut dados/rabbits for undersize ply in 2 passes.

Rabbet1.JPG

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Sorry if this is a stupid question but.... why is this jig favorable to just using a regular straightedge? Thanks. :)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
the jig provides control on both sides of the router, a straightedge only controls one side, and can lead to the router trying to wander away from your intended cut path... DAMHIKT!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I use a similar jig, only eight feet long to route dados in my cubbies. Finnally rebuilt it this year. It had been in service for over six years- it was time! For a bit, try a reverse helix screw on cutter from Her-Saf. You wil need an arbor and cutter. Reverse helix is basiacally a down shear bit. To make router "fly" over jig, rub jig and base of router with a "dryer sheet."

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Thanks for the link. It's probably my post you are refering to and I have been considering making that type of jig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS