A whack of big logs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
This past Saturday one of our fellow North Carolina Woodworker members really made my day. Ivey Pridgen called me and told me that he had picked up some rather large oak logs from a local loggers deck, and figured that I'd be interested in them.

You bet I'm interested! It's always great to find some nice, large clear logs.

Sunday I headed over to the coast to pick them up, and when I got there, holy cow! This is what I saw when I pulled in:

PICT0797.JPG

This was one of the nicest white oak logs that I've seen. 38" or thereabouts on the small end, and nice tight growth rings with no sign of metal. A single tree produced almost 40' of nice, clear logs.

And to top it off, Ivey gave me a large cypress to boot!

North Carolina Woodworker members (and Ivey in particular) are great folks. Thanks Ivey!!!

Scott

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Hmmm, a bushel of wheat, a bunch of twigs, never knew it was a whack of logs! Should be some fun slicing that up....

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
That'll keep ya outa trouble a few days. :icon_thum:icon_thum

Bas Re: A whack of big logs!
Hmmm, a bushel of wheat, a bunch of twigs, never knew it was a whack of logs! Should be some fun slicing that up....
.....and a murder of crows!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Did you get all of that in one load, or did you have to make two trips?

That looks like some fine quarter sawn potential!

If you need help off loading the planks, please don't call me. :elvis: I'm gettin' too old for that heavy labor!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Did you get all of that in one load, or did you have to make two trips?

That looks like some fine quarter sawn potential!

If you need help off loading the planks, please don't call me. :elvis: I'm gettin' too old for that heavy labor!

Mike, you wimp! :rotflm: Come on over - don't you know that misery loves company? :gar-La;

Re the trips, it was one trip (and one trailer tire... :cry_smile). Yup, some good QS material, indeed!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Whoo Boy! That's a "WHACK" all right! :icon_thum Love to see some of that when you saw it!

Ol' Ivey's a pretty good feller, (when he's asleep and not dreamin' bad dreams!) but as my Dad used to say, "There ain't much demand for "good fellers" nowadays!! LOL! :gar-La;

Nicel lick, Scott. Good on ya, Ivey!! :eusa_clap

HMMM! Scott; whatcha gonna do with that big cypress?? Is it too big for Ivey's mill? :icon_scra

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I would love to come down sometime and offer what little assistance I can to see some of these behemoths cut up. Especially cypress - I love that oatmeal smell. :)

Ivey

New User
Ivey
Thanks Reggie,You're in the pretty good old feller club too!
That cypress came out of the swamp a few years ago. It had been down for years.
Not too big for me to saw, it just had some rot in the center. Not good enough to sell.
Scott needed some cypress to saw...

Ivey

New User
Ivey
When I picked up the large w/oak logs, I was going after cypress.
At that time the loggers had no cypress on the loading deck.
However ther were these big ol w/oak logs.
A light came on, and I thought about Scott and hauled them home.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Wow! :eek: I like to think of myself as someone with a pretty good back, but I can't pick those up. :nah: Sounds like a nice job for the Bobcat or maybe borrow Bas's crane. :gar-La;

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Reggie, I'll probably mill it up and use the wood for farm projects. One thing that I've been thinking about is to mill either some cypress or ERC and use the boards to make gutters out of for the new shop. I'll probably also stash some wood away for future outdoor furniture projects.

Andy, I'm not sure when I'll be milling it, but you're welcome to come out and assist. Off-bearers are always welcome!

Red, I haven't counted the rings (although Ivey may know), but the WO is probably 125 - 150 years old; not sure about the cypress.

Ivey

New User
Ivey
The rings are so close that they are very hard to count, but I did try my best count is 160
years. This is not a yard tree, I don't think that it ever was. It lived on a ridge next to a swamp bout two miles from anywhere..

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Well Scott,all ya gotta do is fire up that monster your always holdin an put it ta work.heck should have it ready ta use in ohhhh maybe a yr or so :rotflm:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Are you sure one didn't fall off the truck? :gar-La;

From the Raleigh CL:

Lumber-White Oak-NOT milled (south Cary)

Date: 2010-02-23, 12:40PM EST
Reply to: sale-efdhs-1614206230@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

I have a white oak. 30 inch dbh. about 25 feet total. 20 feet 4 sides clear. (no limbs) the last 4-6 feet has some fish eyes on side(o;der limbs that have healed leaving a scar)Can load with bobcat, Holly Springs/Ten Ten rd. Best offer. Must be able to pick up today (Tuesday or Weds) can deliver couple of miles for additional fee. Call 462-0031 Robert

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 1614206230

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Are you sure one didn't fall off the truck? :gar-La;

From the Raleigh CL:

Lumber-White Oak-NOT milled (south Cary)

Date: 2010-02-23, 12:40PM EST
Reply to: sale-efdhs-1614206230@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

I have a white oak. 30 inch dbh. about 25 feet total. 20 feet 4 sides clear. (no limbs) the last 4-6 feet has some fish eyes on side(o;der limbs that have healed leaving a scar)Can load with bobcat, Holly Springs/Ten Ten rd. Best offer. Must be able to pick up today (Tuesday or Weds) can deliver couple of miles for additional fee. Call 462-0031 Robert

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 1614206230

Nope, I didn't lose one, but THANK YOU for posting this. I just left a VM with his answering service, and also responded via e-mail.

Any oak logs that are clear and 30"+ are always of interest to me.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS