A vote for hearing protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I'll let you guess which current thread inspired this.

recently I found myself in a conversation with a audiologist who works with the VA.
She was saying that most of us associate hearing loss with loud sounds- gunshots, explosions etc.
What we don't pay attention to is low level repeated exposure.
It seems that sort of exposure can have a cumulative effect.
One example she gave was dentists with selective hearing loss in the frequency of the drill.
Not loud but specific and frequent exposure.

I've never been a hearing protection guy except for chain saws and leaf blowers, and the occasional router.

That's going to change

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have always been protective of my hearing, so much so, that my wife pumps up the volume of the TV to 17-18 (out of a scale of 25) and it hurts my ears. When in my car, my volume on the sound system is never above 9 (out of a scale of 25). At nearly 64 years young, I can still hear most flying insects within 3-4 feet of me. I urge everyone to use hearing protection whether you think you need it or not.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Younger years:
Worked on railroad repairing/building train cars - riveting, chiseling, etc. No hearing protection.
Flew on turbo props and worked on them on the flight line in the Navy. Hearing protection on flight line but not while flying as aircrew.

Mid-life:
40+ years around mainframe computer rooms and server rooms - machine fans, disk drives, air handlers, printers. No hearing protection.
16 years in a German band. No hearing protection until last couple of years - too late.
Target shooting competitor, regular skeet shooting. Hearing protection always.
Woodworking machines. Hearing protection rarely.

Later life:
Can't hear worth %^&. I concur with the OP - cumulative effects of prolonged exposure over many years worse than just about anything. Don't be like me, get and use hearing protection if you haven't already.

Lowlander

New User
Chris
For reelz! I use hearing protection for everything now. Yard work, machine operation, the wife. I also try to minimize loud music and cell phone cranked up. I would like to keep my hearing in my golden years.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
My hearing was abused for years on end by not having/using ear protection. Thus the reason I have a cochlear implant now. It will never replace natural hearing but at least I can communicate in most situations, and I can talk with my grandchildren.

Jerry

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I am already deaf in one ear, so I use hearing protection for everything.

Like eye protection, there are two types of people: those who did use protection, and those who wished they had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS