A vise question for chair makers

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
This artisan made a superb quality chair makers vise. Check out the pics before optionally viewing the construction video. The chair maker's vise

One possible advantage may be that the hollow square top of the vise could be a useful reference plane. Other than that, a Moxon vise, Scandinavian end vise, or even a NCWW high vise would hold a chair part equally well for shaping and be a more versatile vise.

Am I overlooking an obvious (or even a subtle) advantage?

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have never made a chair with compound angles. Most of the chairs I've made come from Woodsmith plans and have just basic right angles. It makes joinery a lot easier. The back legs are curved but I made a pattern decades ago when I made the first ones (still in use) and I put the template on each leg with double sided take and trim them on my router table to match the pattern. So there is no real handwork to require a nice vise. But that one looks nice. My bench is a little taller than most (38 inches) but it would still be nice to get things up sometimes.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I have a Highland Hardware Parrernmakers vise and a Garrett Wade unique ultimate Versatile Vise. Between the two, I have never needed anything else. I generally build Maloof chairs and very few of the joints are 90 degrees. The front legs are 90 degrees but the rear legs can be 3 (87) degrees or 5 (85) degrees or at a straight 90 depending on the design. Generally the back legs are 2-4 inches closer together than the front legs. The arms, spindles and crest rail angles vary significantly based on design. Generally I make the arm to front legs at 90 degrees as it is very difficult to have both the portion that attaches to the rear legs and front legs to have complex angles as the length has to be perfect. There is no room for error at 0.25 degree or a few thousandths of an inch. I did it once but never again as I do not have enough patience.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Mike, I am not sure of any specific advantages; that said, I really enjoyed watching the video.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Mike, I am not sure of any specific advantages; that said, I really enjoyed watching the video.
Impressive craftsmanship wasn’t it? That “funny” saw made from a chuck of stair railing impressed me.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
That’s a good one. I like the saw, best guess is it’s a Japanese saw plate that he has mounted and set up to adjust the depth of cut. One could do it with any saw plate much like a staircase saw, or a kerfing saw. The way he is using it is right handy. I like it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS