A very cool table

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=dNdyPVjpa8w[/video]

It combines metal and a nice black walnut slab. I really like the look.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
What a fascinating process to watch. Great looking table as well. Thanks for posting this, Scott.

Fishbucket

New User
Joe
Good looking table.

He was on an episode of This Old House. built a table out of branch rounds and epoxy.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
So, what happens when the walnut shrinks and the steel doesn’t?

I guess that's the worry. I am assuming its a summer build.. short pants in NY.

I think its fair to say there will be a bunch more cracks in the surface. I also wondered about the weight??

Art.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Table looks good, I like the concept, but not the execution. Probably doesn't look quite as good up close. Also, my guess that the metal was 3/4" solid square stock: That table must weigh a ton. Not sure how he kept the wood from burning or at least scorching with all that welding. Still like the concept, it is cool....
Bernhard

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Table looks good, I like the concept, but not the execution. Probably doesn't look quite as good up close. Also, my guess that the metal was 3/4" solid square stock: That table must weigh a ton. Not sure how he kept the wood from burning or at least scorching with all that welding. Still like the concept, it is cool....

I think he would have a nicer final product if he left the edges rougher and poured pewter or plumbers babbit like the muzzle cap poured below. Much faster and easier. It will contour and hug the wood and if you drill "gates" (little roots) in the wood it will flow in and keep the edge in place.

An added plus is the pour pewter is much lighter and it is flexible and moves with the wood.

pot_and_pencil.jpg

In the photo below you can see the little "gates" or sprews where the hot liquid flowed into place.

cap_nose.jpg

left somewhat dull but can be polished very bright.

entry_rod.jpg

cap_and_edge.jpg

just another approach to embellish the figured walnut.​

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
That was noted in the comments of the video. The question was "Are you concerned about the expansion and contraction of the walnut slab?"

The builders response was "Only until the check clears".

I'm sorry, I find that way of thinking appalling.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Really interesting, thank you for sharing, Scot! I now want to learn how to weld (Phil, another learning opportunity for the Phil Soper School/Shop)...that said, I suppose I would have to invest in a whole new line of tools - but, what so bad about that!:)

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
That was noted in the comments of the video. The question was "Are you concerned about the expansion and contraction of the walnut slab?"

The builders response was "Only until the check clears".

I'm sorry, I find that way of thinking appalling.

I think if you look more carefully you'll see that the builder said he wasn't worried about expansion as the steel sides are flexible. The comment "Only until the check clears" was made by someone in the comments section. I can only hope the comment was meant to be humorous - but who knows?

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
Thanks for the clarity.

I'm still not a fan of the table construction. Not worried about expansion is an ignorant statement of how wood moves and how little metal does. At that rate, it doesn't address the shrinkage issue.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I think that the only real shrinkage concerns would be at the ends of the slab. That could be addressed with some type of slotted fastener to attach the end plates to the side steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS