A Thank You for my high school

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi all,

This June, I will be heading to New York City to attend my 50th high school reunion. My wife and I both attended this wonderful school (Music & Art High School) and I consider the extraordinary education I received there to be the corner stone and foundation for my professional life. To commemorate this occasion, I wanted to give something back to the school and to the students who are now walking its halls as I once did so many years ago. So I decided to donate a harpsichord, which I am in the process of building, as I know the school can use all the instruments it can get. The harpsichord is a French Double Manual sitting on a Louis XV Cabriole platform stand.

I am six weeks into its construction and thought I might share some photos with you.

IMG_3161.JPG

IMG_3162.JPG

As you can see, the case is more or less finished, as are the two keyboards shown in the next photo. The upper keyboard sits on runners at each end of the lower keyboard and moves in and out to engage its jacks. In the "pushed in" position, the upper keys can be played by the lower keyboard and it looks somewhat like a player piano in that the keys go up and down without anyone touching them.

IMG_3166.JPG

The cabriole platform stand is a defining feature of large French harpsichords. On the bottom of each leg is a leaf motif which is interesting to make, especially for someone with no carving skills whatsoever.

IMG_3165.JPG

That's it for now. I'll post some more photos as more progress is made. Thanks for looking and Happy New Year to all.

Ernie

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Ernie, Wow! Your work always amazes me...you are a truly gifted craftsman. I am sure your high school will be extremely proud to receive such a wonderful gift, especially since it come from one of their own exceptionally gifted alumni.

Cheers,
Donn

jhreed

New User
james
This gift will be a wonderful inspiration to many young minds. Will you play it for us before you donate it?
James

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
A wonderful thing to do Ernie!
Just the other day I re-read the story of your build you posted here. Beautiful work.

Tom Swortzel

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like a wonderful gift :icon_thum They should find the funding to have a plaque inscribed with the donor's name and date, also Class of ..... I assume you have the shipping all figured out as well. I couldn't see you throwing this on a flatbed trailer with a tarp over it and going up I-95. :gar-Bi
I hope I'm able to be so philanthropic when I reach my 50th birthday, but right now all I could do for them would be to give the Auto Mechanics class a new spark plug wrench......... if they even teach that there any more.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Looks like a wonderful gift :icon_thum They should find the funding to have a plaque inscribed with the donor's name and date, also Class of ..... I assume you have the shipping all figured out as well. I couldn't see you throwing this on a flatbed trailer with a tarp over it and going up I-95. :gar-Bi
I hope I'm able to be so philanthropic when I reach my 50th birthday, but right now all I could do for them would be to give the Auto Mechanics class a new spark plug wrench......... if they even teach that there any more.

I wish it was for my 50th birthday - unfortunately it's for the 50th anniversary of my high school graduation. Let's see... that makes me &$%#^ years old.:gar-La;

I'm already having a plaque inscribed that I will inlay into the keyboard area. As I am donating this to the school in honor of a particular deceased teacher, I am also making a scale model of the instrument to present to this teacher's daughter so that part of this gift will remain with the family. I want her to know how much her mother's influence has meant to me.

As for shipping, yes I have it all figured out. No flat-bed truck for this baby. Instead, it will get there in the back of my trusty mini-van - I know the driver personally and he'll take good care of it.:rotflm:

Ernie

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Ernie, All I can say is your work is absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eusa_clap

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
For once I'm truly speechless. Just incredible!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

How is the stop smoking effort going?

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I wish it was for my 50th birthday - unfortunately it's for the 50th anniversary of my high school graduation. Let's see... that makes me &$%#^ years old.:gar-La;

I'm already having a plaque inscribed that I will inlay into the keyboard area. As I am donating this to the school in honor of a particular deceased teacher, I am also making a scale model of the instrument to present to this teacher's daughter so that part of this gift will remain with the family. I want her to know how much her mother's influence has meant to me.

As for shipping, yes I have it all figured out. No flat-bed truck for this baby. Instead, it will get there in the back of my trusty mini-van - I know the driver personally and he'll take good care of it.:rotflm:

Ernie
I understand about the birthday thing. I actually meant to say reunion. I'm on the backside of 50 myself -and it's showing.......

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Ernie,

What an inspirational piece of fine work in its totality. Well done and kudos for you! :icon_cheers

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Ernie, WOW doesn't come close to how impressed I am w/ your workmanship and the fact that it's a gift, but I am otherwise speechless. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS