A Stand for an Old Delta Scrollsaw

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User

I designed this stand for the old Delta 24" scrollsaw that I grew up with. The other day I was thinking I need to go buy the oak to do this. Then my wife asked me to come look at some wood in her parents back garage. There's probably enough white oak there for this thing and a huge pile of very nice looking cherry. Her folks are gone and it sounds like I inherit the wood. I have to wait for the ground to dry out before I can get the wood but I should be all set.

FWIW, I plan to make a drawer case that will sit on the stretchers but that'll be a separate project.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Thanks Mike. I was thinking that it would be simple enough to modify the design to make end tables or a coffee table.

As for its use as a tool stand, I've always just banged together stands from 2x lumber and MDF or plywood--whatever I had on hand--but I decided I'm going to make a nicer stand for this old saw.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I like the design. Almost to good to be a tool stand.

As a someone who knows something about a scroll saw let me throw out a few things for you to consider. If you plan to stand up and use the saw make the height so that your elbows are bent at 90 degrees with the table of the saw. If you sit on a chair or stool again make the height so your elbows are roughly bent at 90 degrees AND extend the front so there is room for your legs. I would make it wider then the saw so you have a place for blades, other tools and maybe to clamp a magnifier lamp. To reduce vibration many scroller add weights to the bottom shelf. One last thing. Many scrollers, I am not one, like their saws tilted down. The back being higher then the front. So if you are one of those consider making the back legs longer then the front.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I don't know. It's an old cast iron Delta 24 in. saw with the retirement light. It's been in the family for almost 50 years and it was old when we got it.

Last edited:

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Scott, thanks for that. I do expect to stand at the saw and did already design the stand to put the table at the right height. The saw's table will extend past the front end of the table to make it OK to sit at on a stool if needed. I don't need to have it tilted for my use but I've been conidering hingeing the top so the back could be raised a little.

The top is wide enough to leave space for a few blades and such but I don't want it to be a gathering place for junk. too many horizontal surfaces in my shop already. :D

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you want an original stand, and save the heirloom wood for the wife's project, PM me.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I'm an old geezer, but dang it that machine in the photo is not a scrollsaw it's a jig saw in spite of Bosch naming their sabra saw a jig saw. I really dislike renaming old products.

Pop :p

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS